NPCs, Items, Enemies, Quest Debugger

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

NPCs, Items, Enemies, Quest Debugger

Post by Interkarma »

New devlog article about recent progress on quest system.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/npcs-items-en ... -debugger/

There's also a new video showing the early quest system in action. A few of the early main quests are almost completely working now. This video also shows a fast (very fast) level-up thanks to the new skill-tracking and level-up code added by Allofich.

Biboran

Re: NPCs, Items, Enemies, Quest Debugger

Post by Biboran »

Good to see your project. I think, more people will check it since tere already something to do in game :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Seeing a level-up happen was a huge and welcome surprise! Now this is looking like Daggerfall proper!

I didn't imagine Daggerfall literally moved the NPC from one location to another. I thought it just disabled one copy at the original location and created a quest version of the skin at the quest location. It really sets the stage for a TES4-5 constant world with traveling NPCs.

Excellent work again! For you I'm certain this step has taken a lot of time behind the scenes, but look where it is now!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote: I didn't imagine Daggerfall literally moved the NPC from one location to another. I thought it just disabled one copy at the original location and created a quest version of the skin at the quest location.
Yep, that's exactly how it works. The NPC faction object is just disabled from home location and instantiated at quest site instead (unless atHome flag specified and they stay put). The rest is just me trying to build a narrative around the event. Although it is a move of a sort - like a cut and paste - gone from A and now at B. :)
Jay_H wrote: Excellent work again! For you I'm certain this step has taken a lot of time behind the scenes, but look where it is now!
Thank you! The design behind tracking quests sites and linking to resources like NPCs gave me about a week of sleepless nights and three failed attempts before I landed on a working setup. It should scale nicely to things like dungeon enemies and items once I'm ready to place those.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Awesome article and progress, seeing it all working in a video was very satisfying. I really admire your determination, You just keep on pushing fwd, no matter the problem you encounter. This gives me hope DFU will one day really be delivered in a fully realized state. Something which many tryed and everybody perished. Such a thing will forever place you in a PC master race gaming hall of neverending fame and glory. Hail Interkarma!

PS: Why are the comments at the utube videos disabled? Those vids receive only thumbs up, I dont see a need for a disabled comments. Also, more comments = video is more visible = more ppl will know about this project (and some of them will possibly be able to help in the dev process or modding) Im affraid that for example many modders from now abandoned DaggerXL dont even know DFU exists..

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you KoW, I appreciate the kind words. :)

I see YouTube as a video hosting service, I don't see it as a social platform. The embedded video above and on my web site is exactly how I want to use YouTube. Comments are open both here and on dfworkshop.net (and on Twitter) if people wish to engage with me further.

Thomas_Eric

Post by Thomas_Eric »

It blows my mind on how Daggerfall Unity progress goes fast. Enjoying the hard work you have been doing and the blog posts Interkarma!
I am alive and back!

InconsolableCellist

Post by InconsolableCellist »

This is awesome! I've looked over the code and it's amazing to see so much progress on the quest system. Great work!

For my part, I've been traveling a ton and working on other projects, but I still hope to make some time soon and work on Daggerfall Unity again. Especially since it's so satisfying seeing the project get closer and closer to becoming a playable Daggerfall replacement. (And then from there, add a million mods to make it the best version of Daggerfall humanly possible...But one thing at a time.)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

today I fired up vanilla daggerfall and realized how much more comfortable daggerfall unity already is in contrast to it - I mean the parts/systems that are already finished/partly finished.

It is just so much more comfortable to press more than one key and walk both to the side and forward/backwards at the same time.

Then I opened the townmap and tried to drag the map around with the mouse button down - ouch this does not work in vanilla.

Inventory tooltips and scrollbar - so nice to use in daggerfall unity but so much more annoying in vanilla.

Travelmap navigation to different regions by clicking to the region outside the current selected (great idea and implementation by Lypyl).

And of course it looks so much better.

All that progress on quests by Interkarma and the work put into by Allofich on investigating vanilla daggerfall's behavior and to match dfunity to it will soon really show off!

And not to speak of the awesome mods...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey InconsolableCellist, great to see you around again and know you're happy and doing well. :)

Nystul, you sum up my feelings perfectly. I'm probably biased, but I'm also spending a lot of time jumping between classic Daggerfall and Daggerfall Unity to test elements of the quest system, and you're right. Daggerfall Unity is so much more comfortable overall. It's slowly turning into the same basic game, but it's much easier to look at and play.