Town Populations

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Re: Town Populations

Post by Interkarma »

Mobile enemies can also appear outside of location areas, such as in the wilderness and near coastlines. It's certainly possible for them to use navgrid inside locations, but it's not a general enough solution.

When it comes to handling mobile enemies on water, I'll use the same method as player where terrain tilemap is sampled instead.

jfcaron

Post by jfcaron »

I read the article you linked in the first post.

Is it feasible to generate a small % of NPCs of the races from other regions? The % should maybe go up for bigger more-cosmopolitan cities and especially capital cities. I feel like Daggerfall should have a reasonable Argonian or Khajit population, for example.

The outdoor NPCs are a lot more generic than later Elder Scrolls NPCs, but have you considered giving them more stuff to do than walk randomly? Like if each time an NPC is generated it could have a specific origin & location that makes sense (e.g. going to the shops, going to the bank, meeting a friend at a park to chat, walking out of the gates to go to a different city). Might make for some fun emergent gameplay where a PC follows an NPC around...or it might enable new kinds of quests for mods.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi jfcaron,
jfcaron wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm Is it feasible to generate a small % of NPCs of the races from other regions? The % should maybe go up for bigger more-cosmopolitan cities and especially capital cities. I feel like Daggerfall should have a reasonable Argonian or Khajit population, for example.
Have you tried Villager Immersion Overhaul mod?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jfcaron

Post by jfcaron »

Ah yeah, that does a lot of what I was thinking about, and a bit more.

pango

Post by pango »

I don't think this mod does anything for random walks though
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart