Returning Soon, And More

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Returning Soon, And More

Post by Interkarma »

Just a quick update for you. I am returning to work on Thursday. Once I catch up a little, I'll get stuck back into the DFTFU 1.3 release. I'm also working on a new technical post for the Workshop Blog that should be up before the weekend. The 1.3 release is shaping up nicely, with lots of great new features for developers to play with. I can't wait to have it ready for you guys.

Something I mentioned on Twitter a few weeks back is that I would like to talk more about my game projects outside of anything related to Daggerfall. Sometime in the next month or two, I'm going to launch a new site to share my progress and learning experiences creating my own game. I have always enjoyed watching people go through the journey of game development, even way back in the Zzap!64 days when the likes of Martin Walker detailed their process month by month. In turn, I enjoy sharing my experiences with everyone and I value the feedback I receive. I've never been fortunate enough to work in the game industry proper, but it has always been a passion for me that I don't think I could ever abandon.

This may or may not be something you are interested in, so I will keep it separate from the Workshop. I also hope you will understand this will take some time away from my Daggerfall hobby, but hopefully not to its detriment. I promise not to abandon Daggerfall Tools for Unity, but to be an active part of the community and making contributions long into its maturity. Exciting progress is being made by everyone, and I hope to be as much a part of that as possible well into the foreseeable future.

With all the great contributions lately, I can see Daggerfall Tools for Unity becoming self-sustaining. There will come a time when the community here will take things much further than I ever could by myself - in fact I believe that process has already started. Daggerfall has been on my mind for almost 18 years (wow!) and I need to start looking for my next passion. I want to start something original and use everything I have learned to create something of my own, something I can be proud of no matter how feeble it is. If any of you are interested in this new journey, I look forward to seeing you there soon.

LypyL

Re: Returning Soon, And More

Post by LypyL »

Just a quick update for you. I am returning to work on Thursday. Once I catch up a little, I'll get stuck back into the DFTFU 1.3 release. I'm also working on a new technical post for the Workshop Blog that should be up before the weekend. The 1.3 release is shaping up nicely, with lots of great new features for developers to play with. I can't wait to have it ready for you guys.
It will be good to have you back, and I can't wait to see the 1.3 update. It looks like it will include a lot of goodies based on the stuff you've shown on twitter :D
This may or may not be something you are interested in, so I will keep it separate from the Workshop. I also hope you will understand this will take some time away from my Daggerfall hobby, but hopefully not to its detriment. I promise not to abandon Daggerfall Tools for Unity, but to be an active part of the community and making contributions long into its maturity.
I don't think anyone can be upset that you want to pursue your interests outside of DFTFU....but I hope you will keep updating it!
I want to start something original and use everything I have learned to create something of my own, something I can be proud of no matter how feeble it is.
I would argue that DFTFU should qualify (and it's definitely not feeble) :P You created it, and you should definitely be proud of it!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't think anyone can be upset that you want to pursue your interests outside of DFTFU....but I hope you will keep updating it!
Most definitely! Can't see myself stopping any time soon, especially now things are getting so interesting. The games I have in mind are generally less ambitious than DFTFU and probably won't take away much more than I'm already spending on other hobbies outside of Daggerfall.
I would argue that DFTFU should qualify (and it's definitely not feeble) :P You created it, and you should definitely be proud of it!
Thank you kind sir! I'm definitely proud of DFTFU, but at the end of the day I'm still playing with Bethesda's property. I also need to make something I can proudly call my own. :)

Arl

Post by Arl »

I think you should pursue your interests, you've already opened the doors for a Daggerfall Renaissance and I thank you for that.

I remember asking you about what kind of game would you do back in the XL forums, you said things about procedural environments I think, do you have any new detail you want to share or should we have to wait for your new site to know?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Phobos Anomaly. :)

I'm happy to share some info now. I definitely want to build a heavy procedural game that iterates on everything I've learned building DFTFU plus some new concepts. However, I don't feel quite ready to build this game yet, and I think it would take away too much time from the Workshop. I'm holding back on this one until I'm a bit more experienced and DFTFU is further along.

What I'll be working on shortly is a very small game, basically a 2.5D platformer, and much smaller in scale than DFTFU. It's something I can learn some real design lessons from without bogging myself down in complex systems. The game itself is inspired by my favourite C64 game The Castles of Dr Creep.

What I love about Creep is how the protagonist is just this normal person. They don't have a gun or a sword - no direct attacks at all. They cannot jump, or ledge grab, or climb anything other than ladders. You need to use the environment and contraptions to your advantage, solve complex spatial puzzles, and avoid enemies using line of sight and pac-man styled tactics. In that last point, I would even consider it to have some light stealth elements that I would like to expand on. It was also co-op so you could work through puzzles with your friend or partner.

Today, the closest game I could think of to Creep would be Portal 2 Multiplayer (except in platform format). Creep even had multi-target teleport chambers that provided a similar means of spatial problem solving as Portal.

So in summary: Platformer, minor stealth elements for combat avoidance, contraptions, linked spatial puzzles, and simple enough to teach me lessons about making a game that plays well. If I'm comfortable with progress, I will even work in some co-op levels and gameplay.