Enemy Prefab

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Enemy Prefab

Post by Interkarma »

A quick post about the new enemy prefab. This is a much deeper concept than something like lights or doors and will be expanded on in the future.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/?p=1921

Aliem

Re: Enemy Prefab

Post by Aliem »

That is outstanding!
From here, how much tweaking would be necessary to replace the sprites with models?

Interkarma

Re: Enemy Prefab

Post by Interkarma »

Hi Aliem, welcome to the forums. :)

It's not too big a jump from here to models. I'm going to support the option of one prefab per enemy type as well. There are just a few subtleties to work through to make it both easy to use and to "get out of the way" so other developers can build on it without being limited by the demo classes.

One thing that I noticed in muck-about tests is the default Daggerfall-like AI looks especially shoddy when driving 3D models. We tend to be forgiving of sprites - they look simple so we don't mind if they act simple. But once you have a beautifully modeled 3D object moving around, the expectation is they act as smart as they look.

Fortunately there are some good, free, real-time navigation assets for Unity to help, like this one. But keep in mind that building sexier, smarter monsters is outside of my scope. I'm just building the interface between Daggerfall and Unity.