Guild systems

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Hazelnut

Re: Guild systems

Post by Hazelnut »

I've submitted a small update to the guild systems to remove the testing features. After the next build you will have to wait 28 days between rank changes for guilds regardless of skill and reputation changing. It was set to a day to expedite testing. You will also not longer be able to rest in any guild hall for free, after next build only where this is a member privilege will this be possible.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is great! These game systems are really becoming very real to me lately. Excellent work Hazelnut. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks, nice to hear. It's been pretty quiet on the feedback front to the guild systems. I'm trying to see that as a good thing, i.e. it just works and no one gives it much more thought... rather than no one cares. :)

I guess flinging spells is always going to be a bit more glamorous an activity than club admin! lol :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I definitely think people care. We had lots of feedback during that brief period where membership was dropped by load system. I they're playing and enjoying, and almost certainly things are just working well overall by now. Let me tell you my recent experiences.

I created a random burglar the other day with some unrelated testing in mind (just wanted to test new movement stuff). I cleared Privateer's Hold and made way to Gothway Garden. I rented a room for a night, stole a horse, cart, and some other gear. The next morning, I took out a huge bank loan with no intention of ever paying it back and jumped on a ship to Wayrest.

Once in Wayrest, I rented a room for a couple of months. I started picking pockets (and running from guards) by day and breaking and entering to loot shops at night. At one point it started snowing and I scaled up a building to watch snow fall over the city.

I fought random encounters at night. I stored loot in my tavern room and set custom icons for them. At one point I was finally caught by the guards, so I surrendered and plead guilty. I was released a few days later with my room rental and all its contents still intact. After playing on this thieving bender for a while, I received my letter of invitation to the Thieves Guild. That's my next stop for this character, to start working through those guild quests and see his adventures take him.

I started a character to test movement code, and the next thing I knew I was completely sucked into a game with all these little systems I could explore. Getting that invite was just icing on the cake for me. I'm actually playing this thing like I played Daggerfall all those years ago. And it feels incredible and fresh all over again. It's the same game, but it's smoother and more comfortable. It's easier on the eyes. And it has mods to enrich the whole experience.

I guess my point is that it's not important which system people focus on now. They're all finally working together as a unified whole. It's actually possible to play this thing now and have fun with it. Guilds and spells and taverns and banks and quests and diseases and formulas and loans and monsters and maps and... all this other stuff!

Guys, we've really built something special here. Now we just have to wrap it all up and make it hum. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I realized once again how much better Daggerfall Unity is compared to vanilla df when I had to test some quests regarding talk stuff in vanilla.
here are just some of the things I was missing that I learned to love in dfunity:
  • clicking a door of a building while on the horse didn't take me to the house by automatically unmounting me
  • inventory sucks in vanilla - no scroll bars, no improved grid
  • automap drag and drop missing
  • automap not closing on same button as opening
  • talkwindow topics no scrollbars again
  • info-clicking a building is so much more annoying in vanilla - or said differently it rocks in dfunity
  • combat in general feels bad in vanilla
I could go on...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Completely agree Nystul! I know we're a bit biased, but all those small input refinements really add up. I don't even notice them until I go back to classic.

One other small thing not many people might notice is the mouse movement step. In classic the mouse is locked to 320x200 screen resolution. So moving mouse vertically upwards by one pixel in classic will move the mouse 0.5% of the entire height of the screen. Or relative to a 10 pixel high button, that one movement steps the mouse position vertically by 10% of the entire button. It makes clicking things in classic feel very imprecise.

In Daggerfall Unity, the hardware mouse is running at whatever dpi your desktop, so you have this very smooth movement on top of a simulated 320x200 surface. You can actually aim at "sub-pixel" resolution relative to the classic UI itself. This doesn't sound interesting, but it makes the input feel incredibly smooth and precise by comparison. I hate trying to click on small objects in classic now.

Except the zoomed in travel map - that's still better in classic. Need to fix that soon. :(

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:54 pmI started a character to test movement code, and the next thing I knew I was completely sucked into a game with all these little systems I could explore.
Yep yep yep yep yep. I know it all too well :lol: