Magic & Effects Back-End

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Magic & Effects Back-End

Post by Interkarma »

A more technical look at the back-end of Magic & Effects System in Daggerfall Unity.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/magic-effects-back-end/

Hazelnut

Re: Magic & Effects Back-End

Post by Hazelnut »

Awesome, very nicely designed and will make it very easy to add new effects into DFU!

Looking forward to working with it and having working potions. :D

I do think that the Magic & Effects system is really just an Effects system... the Magic part is redundant. Magic is implemented using the effects system, but is not intrinsic. Just a minor naming nitpick.. please ignore me. :D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers! :)
Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:42 am I do think that the Magic & Effects system is really just an Effects system... the Magic part is redundant. Magic is implemented using the effects system, but is not intrinsic. Just a minor naming nitpick.. please ignore me. :D
I actually agree with you there. The reason I settled on "Magic & Effects" was to retain that figurative link to the system most users will associate it with. When I started talking about effects early on, I had a few people who were confused what I meant. Someone even suggested that I try using shaders. :D

I feel the naming convention, muddy as it is, should help people make that intuitive leap and understand the broader context of the systems involved (here's hoping anyway).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very interresting article, thanks for the update! Im not gonna pretend I understood it all, but ive tryed ;) it will be epic when this part is set and working.

Also, DFU seems to be the best "remake" of the all tes series which r actually being worked on. Quite a achievement for a project started by a solo dev!

Damn I love this game! :) Best wishes to all the contributors and forum crawlers!