First Look At Spells

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Re: First Look At Spells

Post by Interkarma »

As a minor quality of life improvement, there's now a tooltip to show the name of active spells while game is paused. This might be expanded later to show more information like underlying effects and remaining duration.

spell tooltips.JPG
spell tooltips.JPG (55.53 KiB) Viewed 4850 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If there was a small list of some of the things a Daggerfall remake had to accomplish, that is at the top. It's silly to fight a Ghost or a Nightblade and have some icon show up on your screen without being able to know what it is. Excellent!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Jay! :)

I've just implemented Paralyze effect for player, enemies, and civilians. Here another short video for those without Twitter.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/ ... 2868073472

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I get the feeling creating these new effects is like the dessert after the very long plate of programming veggies :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:While paralyzed, player cannot move, look around, see weapons, attack, open spellbook, or cast ready spell.
I believe this differs from classic. Morrowind prevents spellcasting while paralyzed, but for Daggerfall it's your saving grace. A "free action" spell will both cure and prevent paralysis, for example.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers, my memory could be faulty here, will need to confirm. I sometimes mix up small details with other games in the series. It's an easy enough change either way.

I won't have as much time today. If someone feels like a spot of classic testing, could they confirm to what extent player can use magic while paralysed? Besides curing paralysis, can we hurl any spell while paralysed, or just spells that target self, or what?

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

I didn't test, but I think you can also look around when paralyzed in classic.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Interkarma wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 am As a minor quality of life improvement, there's now a tooltip to show the name of active spells while game is paused. This might be expanded later to show more information like underlying effects and remaining duration.

spell tooltips.JPG

Interkarma... ...this humble peasant salute you.

This, along the arrow direction in the local map, are my favorite improvements to the game.

I know it's not implemented yet, but for those of us who play using the cursor pointer and screen arrows, being able to check the active effects while in game (beyond pause) would be much appreciated.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkermit wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:41 am I didn't test, but I think you can also look around when paralyzed in classic.
I believe this isn't the case. If I can find any time at all I'll try to test it today, which I can't guarantee.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I was wrong! I tested it with a spider.

Looking around: yes
Casting spells: yes
Movement: no
Wielding weapon: no (weapon is automatically sheathed during paralysis)

I didn't get a chance to test it but I think levitation works while paralyzed. I can try that later.