Bought Spitfire Audio's BBC Symphonic Orchestra Core:

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
ByteMixer

Bought Spitfire Audio's BBC Symphonic Orchestra Core:

Post by ByteMixer »

So, for funz and gamez, I took one of the Daggerfall Remix tracks of mine, and swapped out the parts to use the BBCSO Core library instruments. I did duplicate a couple tracks so I could layer and split up an articulation.

I also redid the FX chain on the master track to use some Waves plugins I got a couple years ago from their Abbey Roads series, so I removed Terry West's MHorse P3 mastering plugin, and decided to set up the chain using REDD and J37 tape emulation. It's a very different flavor, but I think I like how it turned out! Keeping in mind, my upstairs room still doesn't have a proper desk, so I'm listening over a pair of PreSonus Air 12's in the basement on the Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK mixer. This room is set up as a tracking/rehearsal/production suite, not a mixing suite. Eventually I'll get a desk for the upstairs mixing room, or failing that, buy a pair of RCF Ayra Pro 6's for the basement desk next to the computer monitor.

Here's some links for comparison:

Original from the Remix Project: https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/song-gsu ... ed-version

Updated Spitfire Audio BBCSO version: https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/song-gsunny2

Enjoy! No, I'm not making these downloadable, and I don't plan to revamp the whole lot of 80+ tracks all over again, lol!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Re: Bought Spitfire Audio's BBC Symphonic Orchestra Core:

Post by King of Worms »

Hi :)

Its sound quite different. I listened to original remix 1st , than the new remix, and than back to original remix.

On a 1st glance, the new remix sounded kinda nicely for the ears than original. But than I noticed on the new one I can hardly hear the hi hats/percussion.. still, the new mix has maybe more natural sound, more in line of what you would expect from a live instruments.

Id hate to make a decission on which one is better :D

Nice job, seems you having the audiophile fun, can relate at least partially :))

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Like I said, I'm not totally in an optimal mixing environment right now, so it's a little quick and dirty on the mixing side for the upgraded track. FWIW, it's a tambourine on the percussion on both tracks, and that's the only percussion on this particular track in both cases. I was focused on rounding out the lower end frequency wise, so the tambourine might not cut through the mix as readily compared to the original I did. It's just a matter of sliding the fader up a bit to bring the tambourine out a little more.

But, yeah, like I said, this room is more for production and tracking, or rehearsal. It's not designed as a mixing/editing space really as my listening position at the desk is right up against the far wall on a 20 ft. room, so my head is nowhere near 38% of the room length, lol! So I'm not sitting in a reflection-free-zone, and the PA speakers are a little far to my left and right, so I'm not getting as much of the highs pointed right at me.

I need to get a good desk for the upstairs room. I like the Outlook Platform desk a lot, but with their supply chain disruption, it's now a 14 week waiting period to get one. I'm kind of waiting for the distributors for the Wavebone Desk to take root here in the USA as it's also a good design. They are taking pre-orders now for the USA, so it should happen soon, and it's not a bad price for a desk with rack mounts + piano tray. They're a Taiwan based company.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well my listening environment is something you dont want to even imagine :)

Just wanted to give u some feedback. New version sounds quite natural, it has a big potential.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Hey, no worries. It's all good. ;)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Sounds like the tambourine has come up in the mix
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Oops, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I haven't been on the forums much since rehearsals and other activities have resumed.

It is entirely possible the tambourine is more forward in the mix. Different sample library, different mic technique to capture the sound, different room, fidelity, different musician/technique/attack etc. The way percussion instruments like tambourine are set up is that it's grouped as a collection of different percussion instruments all included as one "instrument" in the library with each articulation being on a different midi note.

E.g. you might have tambourine, marching snare, concert bass drum, bell tree, etc. all on different groups/areas of the keyboard with the articulations being 3 to 5 different notes in each group depending on how many articulations were captured when they created the library.

So, I could lower the volume of the midi note for the tambourine, but it might end up taking some of the bite out as it moves to quieter sample/velocity layers. But if I pull the fader for the channel down, it would lower the volume of all the percussion samples tied to that "instrument" on the mixer channel. Though I could take the individual tambourine notes, and cut/paste them to their own track/channel to deal with them separately. It's not a huge deal to do it, it's just a matter of duplicating the track to keep all the VSTs in use, then copy the midi note data over to it and double check everything is lined up properly.

But I didn't really worry too much for such a quick comparison. I just swapped out libraries, and made minor adjustments to account for some of the differences, and make sure nothing was clipping, and get roughly the same sound level RMS as the other track. I didn't get too detailed with it since I wasn't trying for 1:1 parity, just showcasing the differences in timbre, quality, fidelity, etc.