Bought Spitfire Audio's BBC Symphonic Orchestra Core:

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
ByteMixer

Bought Spitfire Audio's BBC Symphonic Orchestra Core:

Post by ByteMixer »

So, for funz and gamez, I took one of the Daggerfall Remix tracks of mine, and swapped out the parts to use the BBCSO Core library instruments. I did duplicate a couple tracks so I could layer and split up an articulation.

I also redid the FX chain on the master track to use some Waves plugins I got a couple years ago from their Abbey Roads series, so I removed Terry West's MHorse P3 mastering plugin, and decided to set up the chain using REDD and J37 tape emulation. It's a very different flavor, but I think I like how it turned out! Keeping in mind, my upstairs room still doesn't have a proper desk, so I'm listening over a pair of PreSonus Air 12's in the basement on the Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK mixer. This room is set up as a tracking/rehearsal/production suite, not a mixing suite. Eventually I'll get a desk for the upstairs mixing room, or failing that, buy a pair of RCF Ayra Pro 6's for the basement desk next to the computer monitor.

Here's some links for comparison:

Original from the Remix Project: https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/song-gsu ... ed-version

Updated Spitfire Audio BBCSO version: https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/song-gsunny2

Enjoy! No, I'm not making these downloadable, and I don't plan to revamp the whole lot of 80+ tracks all over again, lol!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Re: Bought Spitfire Audio's BBC Symphonic Orchestra Core:

Post by King of Worms »

Hi :)

Its sound quite different. I listened to original remix 1st , than the new remix, and than back to original remix.

On a 1st glance, the new remix sounded kinda nicely for the ears than original. But than I noticed on the new one I can hardly hear the hi hats/percussion.. still, the new mix has maybe more natural sound, more in line of what you would expect from a live instruments.

Id hate to make a decission on which one is better :D

Nice job, seems you having the audiophile fun, can relate at least partially :))

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Like I said, I'm not totally in an optimal mixing environment right now, so it's a little quick and dirty on the mixing side for the upgraded track. FWIW, it's a tambourine on the percussion on both tracks, and that's the only percussion on this particular track in both cases. I was focused on rounding out the lower end frequency wise, so the tambourine might not cut through the mix as readily compared to the original I did. It's just a matter of sliding the fader up a bit to bring the tambourine out a little more.

But, yeah, like I said, this room is more for production and tracking, or rehearsal. It's not designed as a mixing/editing space really as my listening position at the desk is right up against the far wall on a 20 ft. room, so my head is nowhere near 38% of the room length, lol! So I'm not sitting in a reflection-free-zone, and the PA speakers are a little far to my left and right, so I'm not getting as much of the highs pointed right at me.

I need to get a good desk for the upstairs room. I like the Outlook Platform desk a lot, but with their supply chain disruption, it's now a 14 week waiting period to get one. I'm kind of waiting for the distributors for the Wavebone Desk to take root here in the USA as it's also a good design. They are taking pre-orders now for the USA, so it should happen soon, and it's not a bad price for a desk with rack mounts + piano tray. They're a Taiwan based company.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well my listening environment is something you dont want to even imagine :)

Just wanted to give u some feedback. New version sounds quite natural, it has a big potential.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Hey, no worries. It's all good. ;)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Sounds like the tambourine has come up in the mix
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. DFU Ver. Alpha 0.10.7