I made a Doom map

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Mosin Nagant

I made a Doom map

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Greetings

I'm sure there are some Doom players on the DFU boards, so I figured it couldn't hurt to release a map I made last night here to get some feedback. Inspired by Congestion 1024, I limited myself to a map that fits within the confines of 1024 map units: both because it thought it would be fun, and because I have a hard time staying focused on my maps. Limiting the scope of it, therefore, was fairly helpful. As a result, the map is pretty short, but I'd like to think it's still fun to play. It's lit almost entirely with dynamic lights, so when/if someone makes a Hi-res texture pack taking advantage of GZDoom's new PBR features, the map should look pretty good.

Requirements:
→Use the Doom2 iwad
→Latest version of GZDoom is necessary
I suggest that under: Options→Display Options→OpenGL Renderer, set "Sector Light Mode" to "Standard." Other lighting modes should work, but they might increase or decrease visibility too much.

Beautiful Doom also adds a nice touch, but certainly isn't necessary

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zck3piqtvox3hnc/CAVE.zip

Screenshots
Previously known as LordMordecai on DXL forums

Uncanny_Valley

Re: I made a Doom map

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I love classic doom, one of my favorite games of all time.

About your map
Nice use of lighting, very claustrophobic map. Got stuck for a while after getting the key, missed that I was suppose to jump onto the ledge in the first room. The difficulty is hard as hell . :P Which is fine if that is what you are going for, but personally I would like to see a lot more ammo, shotgun shells, since it's a very close quarters map, maybe a secret chains saw somewhere?, and the arch-vile and Baron encounter in the end is just so cruel.

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 am About your map
Nice use of lighting, very claustrophobic map. Got stuck for a while after getting the key, missed that I was suppose to jump onto the ledge in the first room. The difficulty is hard as hell . :P Which is fine if that is what you are going for, but personally I would like to see a lot more ammo, shotgun shells, since it's a very close quarters map...
I've been playing Doom so long, I guess I didn't realize how difficult I made the map. :)
Uncanny_Valley wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 am ...maybe a secret chains saw somewhere?, and the arch-vile and Baron encounter in the end is just so cruel.
There actually is a secret chainsaw, :lol: but don't think I hinted at the secrets very well, so that's something I'll improve on in my next map. I think you're right about the ammo, too.

Thanks for playing! I really appreciate the feedback! :D

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Unrelated to the topic but I miss the modding days. Speaking of which, I did do a Daggerfall Doom project that was pretty big. Never got anywhere though.
Spoiler!
The few pics that remain on it. You could talk to everyone via the Strife styled chat and had working enemies, quests, day/night system, and the main objective was a online coop that took place in a select place in Daggerfall. Was really proud of the stuff I did in it.
Last edited by Kamer on Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Whoa that's cool!

Arl

Post by Arl »

Kamer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:45 am Unrelated to the topic but I miss the modding days. Speaking of which, I did do a Daggerfall Doom project that was pretty big. Never got anywhere though.
Spoiler!
The few pics that remain on it. You could talk to everyone via the Strife styled chat and had working enemies, quests, day/night system, and the main objective was a online coop that took place in a select place in Daggerfall. Was really proud of the stuff I did in it.

Very interesting, what happend to it?
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I had just lost interest in it. I made a ton of Doom mods but I always started something new when I had felt an interest in other things. I reused the same idea for a Hexen mod even reusing some sprites from Daggerfall but that also stopped being worked on.

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Kamer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:45 am Unrelated to the topic but I miss the modding days. Speaking of which, I did do a Daggerfall Doom project that was pretty big. Never got anywhere though.

Wow, at first first glance, I thought it was a screenshot of Daggerfall. Stealing my thunder! :lol: That looks seriously awesome, though. Funny enough, a couple years ago, I was actually starting a project recreating the first Dungeon in Arena, with Goblins, Rats, and all. It was going to be a remake of the main quest of Arena, but on a much smaller in scope (i.e. no magic). I got sidetracked and forgot about it, but those screenshots you shared make me want to go back and finish that first dungeon. I'm sure DFU players would get a kick out of it.