NVIDIA GameWorks: Materials & Textures

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
MrFlibble

NVIDIA GameWorks: Materials & Textures

Post by MrFlibble »

I was inspired to research waifu2x by King of Worms' NPC flats resizing experiments and found this interesting topic at Doomworld. Apparently NVIDIA develops its own neural network based tools to enhance images for game development purposes, and a Doomworld user signed up as a beta tester and scaled up Doom textures and sprites with them. The first post contains texture samples, here is a sample of a monster sprite, and here props and powerups, all of which look very good and true to their low-res originals. The results can also be viewed at this Google Drive folder.

By comparison, waifu2x may do some of the up-scaling stuff more or less nicely too but when it comes to sprite edges against an empty background it just doesn't handle it.

The Doomworld user also mentioned Let's Enhance which is primarily a photograph enhancing tool (with optional JPEG noise removal, like waifu2x), also based on neural networks. I haven't tried this (it requires registration but I have no idea if it's actually a paid service), but the approach generally feels very promising, even with the waifu2x results. I think it would be quite interesting to run Daggerfall sprites & textures through the NVIDIA tools as well.

Interkarma

Re: NVIDIA GameWorks: Materials & Textures

Post by Interkarma »

Whoa that's fascinating stuff!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ive tryed to register for a beta there, but my hopes are not high... lets wait a week or so... there are places in my remaster, which are still just a basic upscale without a hand touch and those could benefit from this. Things like the sprites where I made a big manual input cant IMO... lets see. Interresting topic, thanks for mentioning it.

Ive tryed "lets enhance" site be4 and the results were heavily sub par ;)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

It be awesome to have mod who just contain vanilla upscaled textures, for maximum vanilla-friendly lol

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Biboran wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 am It be awesome to have mod who just contain vanilla upscaled textures, for maximum vanilla-friendly lol
Id be up as well... but not just upscaled. I want em to have more layers - Physically based rendering. SO we take the originals, and make em up-to-date with additional layers of data. I saw things like this in Doom topic here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=992&p=11955&hilit=doom+pbr#p11955 and than here in a link from main post (scroll down for screens) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -textures/

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Well honestely for me PBR looks horrible on low poly objects. I remember quake 1 mod that did this things and.. all that shiny extra plastic filtered texture... nope, this is clearly I don't want to see.
Howewer upscaling is awesome. Sadly I can't demonstrate currently but run game Hexen 1 (another example of awesomely drawed medival first person game) on GZDooM with maximum resolution and maximum resized tectures and sprites and texture filtering and god bless thiat oppening in first level is like alive awesome paiting. This is kinda of thing I want to see in DF :)