Which engine for a new Daggerfall game?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Wysardry

Re: Which engine for a new Daggerfall game?

Post by Wysardry »

I'm not sure what you mean by "level of detail", but graphically it would be more like Morrowind than Skyrim. I don't intend to include bump mapping etc. unless it affects the gameplay. NPCs and objects would be full 3D models, rather than the sprites of Daggerfall.

I haven't really considered whether the project will be commercial or open source as I'm not sure if the idea is even practical yet. At the moment, I'm aiming to create a prototype or proof of concept.

As for the features I'm looking for, well that would basically be everything from Daggerfall plus the following:-
  • 1st/3rd person perspective
  • Physics
  • 3D models instead of sprites
  • Sloping rivers and streams
  • Reasonably intelligent AI
  • Scripting system
It would also be nice to have:-
  • Multiplayer support (up to around 8 players)
  • AI controlled player characters (if a player gets disconnected or otherwise cannot play)
  • Destructible environment support
I'll most likely use some form of procedural generation during development, as there will need to be a lot of content, but each game would start with the same world.

I haven't looked at the source for Daggerfall Unity, as it's my understanding that much of Daggerfall's content was in a non-standard format. The same is true of Morrowind, if slightly less so.

When I said the game will be a spiritual successor to Daggerfall, I meant that it would have similar aspirations, rather than be set in the same game world.