No magic daedric items

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
johnwax

No magic daedric items

Post by johnwax »

In the classic game you can buy magic daedric items at certain mage guilds. In Unity you can't (at least not in Daggerfall and Wayrest). Why? The ebony dagger is also gone at the start. Why? Apparently someone has decided that powerful items should not be available early on. If so, will magic daedric items be available later when you have reached level X? Some daedric armor is really scarce, such as boots - which in the classic game you can buy at the Daggerfall mages guild.,

Interkarma

Re: No magic daedric items

Post by Interkarma »

You only get the ebony dagger based on how you answer biography questions at start. This was only granted early on in development prior to biographies being available. Now that biographies are in, you'll get the ebony dagger if you answer the biography questions appropriately. This now matches classic.

Magic items for sale aren't populated with the same deterministic formula as classic Daggerfall. Rather than being fixed, this follows similar levelled logic to drops and store shelves. You should receive daedric magic items for sale at a similar level as you'd find them in the world through other means. This is a topic of refinement and you'll find an open bug report about this if you'd like to add to that conversation.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Re the ebony dagger - The biography question where you would normally be able to choose it, does not have the dagger as an option. Bug?

I thought that might be the case and that seems reasonable. I assume, then, that the magic item seller's stock is not stratic any more and that other changes can occur depending on player level - e.g. ebony and orcish items.

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

I noticed the missing ebony dagger choice during creation as well, but I'm not versed enough in classic to know if previous questions negated its possibility of showing up.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

MrDowntempo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:40 am I noticed the missing ebony dagger choice during creation as well, but I'm not versed enough in classic to know if previous questions negated its possibility of showing up.
The ebony dagger has never been a sure thing. Not all classes receive one and you need to know your way through the questions to even get the choice. I think a lot of people have forgotten this since classic. :)

I just created a new character in DFU and was able to get the ebony dagger first go, so this is certainly possible. The whole process has good parity with classic as far as I can see.

dagger-question.jpg
dagger-question.jpg (134.32 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
dagger-inventory.jpg
dagger-inventory.jpg (139.08 KiB) Viewed 4662 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's also worth noting that the ebony dagger isn't nearly as overpowered as we thought it was. R.D. got the correct damage values from classic, and it actually only does like 5-9 damage instead of 9-14. Its main use is to make sure you can hit those early werewolves and harpies.

Consequence of Grace

Post by Consequence of Grace »

In Vanilla Daggerfall, all Standard Classes can get the Ebony Dagger except:

Biog05t0 = Nightblade (Shortblade is her only weapon skill!)
Biog16t0 = Warrior - doesn't really need it
Biog17t0 = Knight - doesn't really need it

Two other Standard Classes that do get it but do not even have Shortblade as a Class Skill (it is Miscellaneous) are:

Biog08t0 = Rogue
Biog15t0 = Barbarian

If you create a Custom Class, the questionnaire you get depends on what Standard Class the game thinks your Custom Class most closely resembles.

~

I am surprised that the Ebony Dagger does 5-9 instead of 9-14 damage. It's supposed to be +8 to hit and +8 damage compared with a Steel or Silver Dagger (+0/+0 and 1-6 damage).

A Dwarven Dagger is +4 /+4 and does 5-10 damage. Maybe it should be a Dwarven Dagger?

Are ALL the ebony daggers in the game under-powered?

Cheers!

:)

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:29 am The ebony dagger has never been a sure thing. Not all classes receive one and you need to know your way through the questions to even get the choice. I think a lot of people have forgotten this since classic. :)
Glad it's working. I wasn't positive or not if it were a sure thing, and I'm not very familiar with classic (only played a few times). Thanks for looking into it!

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:29 am
MrDowntempo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:40 am I noticed the missing ebony dagger choice during creation as well, but I'm not versed enough in classic to know if previous questions negated its possibility of showing up.
The ebony dagger has never been a sure thing. Not all classes receive one and you need to know your way through the questions to even get the choice. I think a lot of people have forgotten this since classic. :)

I just created a new character in DFU and was able to get the ebony dagger first go, so this is certainly possible. The whole process has good parity with classic as far as I can see.

dagger-question.jpg

dagger-inventory.jpg
You can encounter daedra at low levels also. Ive done temple quests that pit me against a daedroth, unbeknowest to me, until I reach the destination. Without the ebony dagger, doing such quests is impossible. Ive also encountered dremora in low level dungeons.

I was searching the forums regarding the ebony dagger because I was wondering why the damage is 5-10 and not 9-14 like in classic. Is it all ebony daggers that have 5-10? or just the one from character creation.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There's a bug in classic that displays damage incorrectly in info popup. DFU just fixes the display issue. This doesn't affect the actual damage, which is the same in both versions. Allofich discovered this some time back.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... -326803585