Ultima Underworld Unity - UnderworldExporter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Al-Khwarizmi

Re: Ultima Underworld Unity - UnderworldExporter

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am As a huge Ultima fan, I learned about this years ago. It's great to see old 3d games getting redone in Unity. Unfortunately, UU hasn't aged well despite being technologically innovative. Ultima VI and VII have aged much better in terms of fun. The developer also hasn't attempted to modernize the overly complex and cludgy interface, which gives it little advantage over using dosbox.
UW has indeed aged a bit badly in terms of the UI and graphics (at that time there was a huge jump in these respects, and only four years later we had games like Quake with essentially the modern first-person game UI - mouse look, etc.) But the setting and story still makes up for it. I replayed it a few months ago and it got me hooked, in spite of the clunky interface (after a while playing it, I forgot about it).

To me, the two big problems with this otherwise practically perfect game are the tedious inventory micromanagement (due to encumbrance constraints) and the bugs. The same problems I found when I played it in its time.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

I like UU controls and UI, honestely. Unlike TES Arena that just blindly copied some of it's elements and it not worked that much, in UU this controls provide you real feel of movment, feel of that you are not superhero, you have some touch with your character, with other characters, in inventory you feel like you managing real items in your real bag, not just some sort of Microsoft Exel. Graphics and level detalisation was top in UU, and still I can't imagine this game with modern controls or with high resolution - it will kill some part of important "magic" that made UU so awesome dungeon experience in mine opinion.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

UW has indeed aged a bit badly in terms of the UI and graphics
System reqs probably forced them to cover 2/3 of the screen with ui. Which then further influenced them to have the game control like a Dungeon Master clone despite having no party. This game predates Wolfenstein 3d, it would be a few years before the ultimate 3d movement aid (mouse-look) was standard.

I take back saying the dev has made zero effort. "e" toggles mouselook and "f" reduces ui obstruction. But that's only a minor improvement, because you're still toggling out of mouse-look a crap-ton to interface with things.

-Simply clicking items should put them in your inventory.
-The paper doll should be a toggle, not a constant obstruction.
-The action bar should be removed completely since objects have one action against them. (You can't pick up a person or door, you can't talk to a door or food, and you can't unlock a person or food).
-Cursory inactivity can replace look.

The biggest impediments to mouse-look are the weapon swing system and the lack of inventory slots. Unlike Daggerfall, swing types do different dmg in UU. You'd either have to randomize the swing type or employ some kind of trick based on cursor history. The inventory needs more slots and a scrollbar. 2 of the 8 slots are taken by the map and rune bag, then the game wants you to put bags inside bags inside bags to expand your slots. So you can either be brutally faithful by auto-place items in nested bags,or just add more slots.

Jukic

Post by Jukic »

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:06 pmUnlike Daggerfall, swing types do different dmg in UU.
Swing types do different damage in Daggerfall as well.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Combat
Jukic wrote:new release
Amazing!

Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

Oh, WOW! You can play it with the Playstation soundtrack, which was just beautiful! I'm so excited for this! Anyone who has never heard the playstation soundtrack, I highly suggest you give it a shot. :D

Example:
Last edited by Ravenborn on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jukic

Post by Jukic »

Honestly, I did not know about this PSX soundtrack. :o I checked it out and it is wonderful! Thanks!

Keep such good info comin! (I wonder how actually UW played on PSX?)
Last edited by Jukic on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

Unfortunately, UW PSX never hit the states, it was only released in japan. I've wanted to play it for the longest time as it even addressed the infamous inventory bug the PC version had.

I actually took the original audio from the PC version, mixed it a bit, and "translated" the PSX intro because the art is also frikken amazing.
You can find that here:

And some gameplay from the psx version here:
Last edited by Ravenborn on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is some cool stuff!

And just a bit of help with the youtube tag, you need to copy the sharing link (i.e. the youtu.be URL) after clicking the "share" button in youtube. Then it should embed OK.

For example:

Code: Select all

[youtube]https://youtu.be/0UMBgW2GgEs[/youtube]
Embeds as below once posted.

Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

Phew~! I was trying to figure that out! Thanks! The previous posts have been edited accordingly. :D