Importing classic characters - two problems

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
johnwax

Importing classic characters - two problems

Post by johnwax »

Finally decided to import a classic character and did so. The import went without a hitch. Arrived the same place and time that I left the old game. However, did have two problems - I lost all the spells I had in my spell book and I lost my ship! Darn! I had stored some good stuff there. So, be warned! (Wonder would I have lost my house, if I had one?)

johnwax

Re: Importing classic characters - two problems

Post by johnwax »

Oops - also discovered that two quest letters from Akorithi and Elysana were now pieces of parchment! My letter of credit did survive. Went to visit Akorithi just in case and she didn't know me, so that part of the main quest is broken (I had completed the Mynisera/Morgiah/Gortwog Find the Letter and the Lhotun quests before the import). Did anyone else have this problem and can anything be done?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Classic save game import currently imports character and certain world state only. It does not regard higher-level systems such as quests and building ownership.

I'd like for main quest state to at least be partially supported in future. The main quest is rolled out via a single backbone quest with state controlled by global vars. As global vars are already imported from classic saves, it should be possible to "reboot" main quest at roughly correct position by instantiating backbone quest after importing classic save using following console command:

Code: Select all

startquest s0000999
You might have to replay a couple of quests, and there might be other weirdness. Hopefully one day in future, this can be tested enough and rough edges smoothed down to at least allow broad main quest state to import from classic saves.

Building ownership is unlikely to be supported based on differences in world systems, but boats should be possible in future.

Spellbook import from classic saves isn't implemented yet. This should be very possible, it's just not something I've started on. :)

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Thanks. Import characters cana still be fun, especially if you craft some magic items before import. Not all may b e lost, however. Normally you can't access Orsinium until you get the Letter quest to talk to Gortwog. I did that before import and Just got through clearing Gortwog's castle again with my imported character. The Letter was missing. This would seem to indicate that at least part of the main quest conditions are being maintained.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

I entered the console code you suggested and it worked - console said "finished". From what you said, I assume this reverts things to the Lady B quest, which kickstarts the main quest line. Should I now expect to start to receive green quest letters? Or? Thanks much for you help.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

To answer my own question - yes, it does start over. I've now received both Morgiah and Lhotun's letters. I assume the Lady B quest is considered complete. I'll check by seeing Cyndassa. Thanks again InterKarma.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No problems. :) I'll try to provide a bit more information to above as well.

When importing a classic character, reputations and global variables from that save are also imported. Global variables control overall state of the main story quest, and new story quests are dripped out from backbone quest as the player reaches certain milestones (reputation, level, meeting characters, etc.). For example, one of the first milestones is to meet Lady Brisienna, After you meet with her, the "MetLadyBrisienna" global variable is switched on and this part of the main quest is considered completed.

So by entering the command I gave you above after importing a classic character:

startquest s0000999
This restarts the backbone quest and it will try to continue based on the state of your global variables, reputations, and level. It should work more or less OK at resuming the main quest close to the point of import. Although you might need to replay a few quests to catch up again.

If you use the following command instead:

setmqstage 1
This will clear all quests, global variables, reputations, and reboot the main quest from the very beginning. It's the nuclear approach to starting the story again from the start.