Custom Character Face not working properly?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Khrysamere

Custom Character Face not working properly?

Post by Khrysamere »

I want to get the face in the attachment below into the vanilla version of the game (Not unity) I converted the png into a .cif via Vampyre Imaging, then combined said file with the Faces14I0.Cif file via DagpicG. For whatever reason, it shows up like this in the game, and my character has no head in the inventory menu.

https://imgur.com/a/WXJdalu

Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?
Attachments
attemp1.png
attemp1.png (1.78 KiB) Viewed 3751 times

Interkarma

Re: Custom Character Face not working properly?

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

I'll move this into Community, as Help & Support is for Daggerfall Unity specifically.

Khrysamere

Post by Khrysamere »

Thanks, and sorry I saw that it was the only "help" forum so I just thought I should post it there.

Regardless, is there anyone who knows how to fix this? I'm pretty much at my wit's end with this :(

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

CIF/RCI files have an XOffset and YOffset value in header data used as part of positioning these objects on paper doll, etc.

Each head has a slightly different shape and needs to be positioned slightly differently. Somewhere in your toolchain, you'll need to specify the correct offsets values or the head won't be aligned properly.

I don't recall anything about DagPicG, but if it lets you set offsets, try experimenting with different values until you have the head sitting nicely on the paper doll's shoulders.

Khrysamere

Post by Khrysamere »

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Dagpicg allows you to modify offsets. Are there any other programs that allow you to do so? Or is there perhaps something that I can do manually?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't know about other tools, but you might be able to edit values directly with a hex editor once you find the correct offsets.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Image_formats/CIF

Daggerfall's image file formats are a bit messy. If you have some programming skill, it would be easier to write a small tool to step through image records assign the offsets as needed.

Maybe someone else more familiar with classic Daggerfall modding has a better suggestion or knows a better tool.

Khrysamere

Post by Khrysamere »

I am unable to do neither of those things, which means I've hit a dead end, haven't I? That's a shame :(

Hypothetically, if I was doing this for Daggerfall unity, not vanilla Daggerfall, what would be my options?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For a Daggerfall Unity loose file mod, you'd need to place your new image file into StreamingAssets/Textures/CifRci and name it something like FACE10I0.CIF_3_0.png (depending on the file and record index being replaced). Here's the page with more information.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... /textures/

You can also provide an XML file with more information such as a custom width and height. I don't believe the CIF offsets can be set by XML (correct me if I'm wrong here, TheLacus), so the head texture will need to be somewhat close in shape to the original so DFU can position it using the classic offset data read from the source files.

If testing in DFU, please ensure your changes to original game files are reverted. You can download a universal known-good copy of game files from Live Builds page (DaggerfallGameFiles.zip).

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Character Face can be customized in the Face Picker, where the texture is drawn in a centred panel with the same size of the original.

The paperdoll is a single texture made of all individual images merged together, so it's not possible to inject non-standard resolutions. If i remember correctly, i had eventually disallowed paperdoll customization because high resolution armors from the inventory were added to the body and messed it up. If we want to allow injection to paperdoll we need an alternative to current optimized implementation, otherwise we can just rely on UI mods to make modern inventories including HD or even 3d paperdolls.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

If there is interest for this, it should be simple enough to just draw all textures individually on GUI, provided that performance is acceptable. Current implementation can be used as a fallback when Asset-Injection is disabled, like default atlas size and other similar tweaks needed to support this kind of mod content.