Experimental Daggerfall Deathmatch

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
spearman

Experimental Daggerfall Deathmatch

Post by spearman »

Hi all,

Today I am open-sourcing my Daggerfall themed deathmatch prototype. I made this project to learn multiplayer network programming, and to test out a multi-threaded client architecture written in Rust. It makes use of DaggerfallConnect in a separate C# program to load Daggerfall assets at runtime (it even loads MIDI using a translation of HMI2MID from the DaggerfallJukebox code). Some more explanation and links to release binaries can be found in the repository readme.

Before anyone gets too excited, let me stress that it's a very early prototype and only has the most basic features and has only undergone minimal testing over LAN. All you can do is fight some mindless bots in practice mode, and connect to a server and fight other players. There is no chat , scoreboard, or even level geometry. You can get an idea of the state of things from the video below.

For now I don't have time to work on this further so it will pretty much stay as it is, but pull requests can be accepted. Thanks to Interkarma and any Daggerfall Workshop contributers who worked on DaggerfallConnect, otherwise this would not have seen the light of day. Cheers.

Deepfighter

Re: Experimental Daggerfall Deathmatch

Post by Deepfighter »

Amazing idea!

Also thank you so much for making it open source, and thus expandable by others. I think there will be some people who love to advance this and bring it to the next level. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Clever! Thanks for bringing it around. Hopefully someone will be able to pick it up when the time's right :) Daggerfall Multiplayer has been a huge request for a long time, and I had some ideas for deathmatch modes awhile back.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Multi-player Daggerfall would be awesome. You would just need to multiply the spawned monsters by an average factor of number of players. Upgrade some monsters add others etc.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

For now I don't have time to work on this further so it will pretty much stay as it is
So you think you can just show up from nowhere and drop this massive achievement in our faces and then just leave?! You get right back here mister and implement DFU coop! :lol:

In all seriousness, well done!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome! It's also great to see another use for DaggerfallConnect beyond my old tools and DFTFU.

eXistential Warlock

Post by eXistential Warlock »

This is phenomenal. Looking forward to hearing more about it in the future!
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Learning Rust, myself. Already prefer it to C++.

...I like that it doesn't include "Shoot your own foot" "features". :D

Daggerfall Multiplayer... :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.