The Quest...Daggerfall like game...any of you guys tried this one?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
mtrredux

The Quest...Daggerfall like game...any of you guys tried this one?

Post by mtrredux »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/428880/The_Quest/
Was wondering if anyone has tried it first hand what your thoughts are?

mikeprichard

Re: The Quest...Daggerfall like game...any of you guys tried this one?

Post by mikeprichard »

I did spend a few hours messing around with this one a while back, but as a grid-based blobber, I don't really see how it's especially "Daggerfall-like". (?) If you're into that kind of thing, though, it's probably worth a look.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

It looks a lot like Dungeon Master which was an early influencer game for TES.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

It's too simplistic for me to get into, plus I don't like grid-based first-person movement. The game is more of a classic dungeon crawler than an open world RPG. I'd recommend giving Wizardry 8 a shot as that shares similarities with DF.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Hmm, a while ago I too was searching for games like Daggerfall and somewhere this game was suggested, for whichever reason. But it really is a classic dungeon crawler with grid-based movement, which isn't too close to Daggerfall. The same developers previously made one or several RPGs for handhelds in the same style (but lower-res graphics).

Here's a gameplay video with commentary:

There's an overworld with shops and inns etc., but it seems closer to me to games like Might and Magic and Realms of Arkania (except you seem to only control one character, not a party).

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yeah, I just don't see this game as very Daggerfall-like. An excellent and very deep RPG from the same era which - while not presented in first-person perspective like Daggerfall - is to my mind much closer in terms of open-world simulation is Darklands - https://www.gog.com/game/darklands. It's fairly well-known in the old-school RPG circles, but if you've never tried it, I very strongly recommend you do.