Schola Gladiatoria

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Firebrand

Schola Gladiatoria

Post by Firebrand »

I've found this cool You Tube Channel about historical fencing, military history, antique arms and armour and general combat-related things.

https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria/videos

It's full of interesting videos to learn more about how are for real, and how they works, the weapons we found in so many game like Daggerfall and the Elder Scroll Series in general.

examples:

Warhammer vs Mace!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCfAuuG92g

Curved Swords - Are they Better than Straight Swords? (They've got curved swords. Curved. Swords. :lol: :lol: :lol: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMGdIXp_oU

Dual-wielding axes - plausible combat style?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsODZWUvtw

Is The Roman Gladius (Sword) Really That Good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfwAnnvgpf0

It would be also interesting to see if we can use what we learn from this channel to improve, through MOD, Daggerfall. :)
For example, do you know that warhammers and maces were mainly used as anti-armor weapon by knights in full armor? :?:

ByteMixer

Re: Schola Gladiatoria

Post by ByteMixer »

While I haven't read their documents, I do believe Shad (Shadiversity) references them from time to time. Not sure if skallagrim does, but maybe? Shad and Skall are both medieval weapons enthusiasts who have studied and practiced HEMA. Though Shad tends to be , erm, passionate about the details. Skallagrim seems more even keel.

I'm not a history buff, so I can't really speak for their accuracy, but from what little I have read, they seem to pay pretty good attention to sources and details.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I've watched their videos; they seem to have good information, and do teach HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), as far as I know.

As always, multiple perspectives are good; as I'd list them:

Skalagrim: Beginner-to-advanced perspective; level-headed, but sometimes opinionated (see: his older videos on katanas - his newer videos are more balanced).
Shadaversity: Enthusiast; very focused on medieval realism, and very enthusiastic about it; sometimes (in my opinion) to the point of absurdity, or dismissal of other concerns. Proved that back-scabbards are possible by making one, and demonstrating it.
Lindybeige: Enthusiast; from a more professorial or theoretical viewpoint. Generally level-headed, but may put too much weight on his long experience with re-enactment, as opposed to his (as far as I know) more recent experience with HEMA.
Schola Gladatoria: Professional HEMA teacher; very expert opinions and able to offer plenty of nuance, but doesn't always seem to quite realize that not everyone is an expert.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Yep! Always good to have a few different good sources. Also agreed on Shad's boisterousness to the point of absurdity. MACHICOLATIOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Fun guy, though.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Skipper

Post by Skipper »

Those channels are a good starting point on history of arms and martial arts, but their reviews of fantasy and videogames quickly stop being fun. I can understand why, because there is a lot of misunderstandings about those topics, but at some point you just get enough of "unicorns don't exist" videos.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Skipper wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 pm Those channels are a good starting point on history of arms and martial arts, but their reviews of fantasy and videogames quickly stop being fun. I can understand why, because there is a lot of misunderstandings about those topics, but at some point you just get enough of "unicorns don't exist" videos.
"It's fiction!"
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Skipper

Post by Skipper »

I don't get your comment, sorry.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Skipper wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:58 pm I don't get your comment, sorry.
Fictional character who is also a unicorn, retorting to "unicorns don't exist" with "It's fiction!"

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Skallagrim: Mostly hands-on testing and reviewingof commercially available replicas and the odd contemporary bladed weapon/tool. Responsible for making an embarassing translation error by yours truly famous all across the internet. Some Hema, but not a lot anymore. Which is due to him being a member of:

Blood&Iron: HEMA club putting out quality teaching videos. The best goto resource to learn about learning how to fight with swords, other than going to a Hema club yourself.

Shadiversity: Medieval and fantasy enthusiast, trying to tailor a hat that fits both, and since recently also a published fantasy author. Also the most involved in popculture overanalisation of all these channels. Has some reenactment experience, but almost no Hema, so don't listen to his advice when it comes to fighting too much. He's a great worldbuilding resource though. While it would be crazy to try to incorporate all of his suggestions, he'll definitely give you some great ideas and make you think of potential inconsistencies in your setting.

Schola Gladiatoria: Is in fact a pretty large Hema club in the UK, where the channel owner is a main instructor, but the videos deal more with historical relevance and interplay of different weapons. Since Matt also deals in antique weapons his knowledge on both fighting and weapons (the real ones, not just replicas) is huge, but he doesn't use that to teach fighting like Blood&Iron, but rather how different weapons and armor fit into their historical... wait for it... CONTEXT!

Those are the main channels I watch about these topics. There's also the Metatron, which offers a rare italian perspective, there's the Knight errant who has forgotten more about armor than most museum curators ever knew, and Todds workshop, who deals more with making weapons, but isn't above the odd but extremely well conducted practical archeological experiment.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I think I did look at a couple of Knight Errant videos, but found them to have too much detail for me. :)