OpenTESArena 0.10.0 Released!

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
afritz1

OpenTESArena 0.10.0 Released!

Post by afritz1 »

Hello all,

I've been trying to get wilderness generation in for months, and I was finally able to get it working! Every city on the world map now has its original wilderness that the player can explore. CD version support is also now on par with the floppy disk version, so if you have Arena from GOG, it should work.

I believe every place from the original game (cities, interiors, wilderness) can be accessed now. There are some exceptions like wilderness dens but those can be reached from the main menu test options, and will probably be implemented in-game after original entities are being loaded because they're 2D sprites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUfq3Dwiae4

FilthyCasual523

Re: OpenTESArena 0.10.0 Released!

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

Excellent news, man! Glad to see this project is still going. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very nice video and progress, I hope one day I will be able to make a full playthru, because on dos version, I deffo cant (crashes, bad performance...)

FilthyCasual523

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:48 am Very nice video and progress, I hope one day I will be able to make a full playthru, because on dos version, I deffo cant (crashes, bad performance...)
Don't forget the godawful controls.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:48 am Very nice video and progress, I hope one day I will be able to make a full playthru, because on dos version, I deffo cant (crashes, bad performance...)
Somewhat recently I gave the original game another go (this time the CD version I got from GOG.com), and apart from the general sluggishness it was fairly stable in DOSBox. I used the limit cycles setting instead of a fixed or maxed option, which I believe helped a bit, and also there's the loadfix option that disallows to load the game too low into memory (which would not happen on a real DOS machine) and can be a saver for real mode games like Arena.

Previously, when I played the game on an older PC with DOSBox set to max cycles, there was a noticeable discrepancy in game speed between the wilderness, dungeons and towns, but with the limit cycles option the game speed is more or less uniform.

You can also remap the keys in DOSBox to get pretty much the regular WASD configuration.

DigitalMonk

Re: OpenTESArena 0.11.0 Released!

Post by DigitalMonk »

Whoooooo!

Not to distract at all from the amazing progress being made here on DFU, but I just got to run around in the new 0.11.0 OpenTESArena, and it gave me all kinds of happy feelings! Exterior streaming working, sprites being loaded, water and lava in place, lots of goodness! No game yet, but it looks like pretty much full exploration (only thing I've seen that didn't let me zone transition was an exterior dungeon/cave/hillside-door thing, and that doesn't bother me at all).

Just wanted to share the happy with anyone else out there for whom Arena holds an even more special place in your heart than DF...

Asesino

Re: OpenTESArena 0.11.0 Released!

Post by Asesino »

DigitalMonk wrote: ↑Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 pm Whoooooo!

Not to distract at all from the amazing progress being made here on DFU, but I just got to run around in the new 0.11.0 OpenTESArena, and it gave me all kinds of happy feelings! Exterior streaming working, sprites being loaded, water and lava in place, lots of goodness! No game yet, but it looks like pretty much full exploration (only thing I've seen that didn't let me zone transition was an exterior dungeon/cave/hillside-door thing, and that doesn't bother me at all).

Just wanted to share the happy with anyone else out there for whom Arena holds an even more special place in your heart than DF...
Wow, this is excellent news! Arena is the only ES game that I haven't played. I really hope that this project continues!

a

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I follow this project on twitter. He really did post really nice posts and screens lately 😊

Yes, the only TES I havent properly played. Ive tryed on DosBox, but had bad performance snd esp lots of crashes.. so this remake is the only way for me.

I think we all know this game will be a torture πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

hannafamilycomputer

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

Tip: When you get to Jagar Tharn in the imperal palace, you should punch him in the face. He deserves it :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »