The Outer Worlds

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Ommamar

The Outer Worlds

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Re: The Outer Worlds

Post by Hazelnut »

Absolutely no doubt or question in my mind. A FPP RPG from Obsidian set in space with a fallout vibe. :shock: Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky! Sign me up to that. The info with the original announcement (throwing shade at Beth & FO76) got me very excited, and then I did my normal forget about it until release is imminent. There are some aspects that are not 100% my cuppa, but on the whole I'm really looking forward to this. Apologies that it will probably reduce my DFU contributions quite significantly though.

Now all I need to do is find out what purchase method gives most money to Obsidian. I really hope this sells well, in fact well enough to sorta make up for the time they got shafted for New Vegas by metacritic & Beth.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im aware of the game. Im a bit scared of the Baldurs gate part, I never liked too much texts ingame. Esp when u realize that 90% of the information is in the 1st 3 words or 1st sentence... anyway. I will deffo check that out.

Now I play Grimrock 2 which is really hard core.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:00 pm Im aware of the game. Im a bit scared of the Baldurs gate part, I never liked too much texts ingame. Esp when u realize that 90% of the information is in the 1st 3 words or 1st sentence... anyway. I will deffo check that out.

Now I play Grimrock 2 which is really hard core.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

It appears that the NPC you interact with will be voice acted with option of your reply being displayed in text.
:) I was thinking more about the style of such games, where theres tons of texts and every NPC tells you their whole life... thats why I cant play games like Baldurs. Even if all texts are voice acted. I think Outer will not be so text heavy.

Im a big RPG fan, since Beholder 1. I just prefer the more hands on approach towards the gameplay than reading/listening.

Also, I grew bored solving every last NPC issues. I dont really care whats their problems, that they are too lazy to go somewhere so I will go there and back and get 100 bucks... Im a freakin hero, I have my own problems to solve.

I love RPGs where this kinds of same old tasks are minimalized. In Grimrock its you agains the world. Thats what I like. I Daggerfall theres one quest, which is stated in a 1st intro sequence, rest is up to you. I like that.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:14 am
It appears that the NPC you interact with will be voice acted with option of your reply being displayed in text.
:) I was thinking more about the style of such games, where theres tons of texts and every NPC tells you their whole life... thats why I cant play games like Baldurs. Even if all texts are voice acted. I think Outer will not be so text heavy.
I think Ommamar is pointing out that usually when a game become fully voice-acted, by economical necessity the number of conversation lines goes down drammaticallly. Like from Morrowind to Oblivion. :mrgreen:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lets pray :)

pango

Post by pango »

Waiting for better (AI powered) voice synthesis so it stops being an issue :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It's definitely going to be a dialogue heavy game, but I like that when it's done well at least.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

pango wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:42 am Waiting for better (AI powered) voice synthesis so it stops being an issue :)
I think the biggest problem is how to make an AI understand the feelings it should express reading the sentence.

Well, making an AI understands feelings... not an easy task :lol: :lol: :lol: