Will you purchase TES VI?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
dashyr89

Re: Will you purchase TES VI?

Post by dashyr89 »

Ommamar wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:37 am I see what you are saying, it reminded me of an old defunct game called Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Brad McQuaid the same guy who was given a lot of credit for Everquest's design was the driving force behind it. Great designer but not to good at business as things went south and he ended up selling the game to Sony. Initially in that game you could do really crazy things to mess your build up. It allowed you to make equipment in a certain way where you would be very powerful in certain situations and weak as hell in others. I remember I got a harvester at level 12 to the top tier of the harvestable items the problem was the items where all in high level zones with level 60 mobs, the only way I could play it was with a full group of at least level 55 characters to protect me while I harvested. Once Sony got control of the game that design went away and it came very cookie cutter, very similar to Everquest 2 which was probably one of the main reasons Sony shut it down. I always loved that the game would allow you to gimp yourself if you choice to take that route but that is rare from what I have seen of modern games.
The main issue is that the main demographic today are casuals. I got nothing personal about them but they do have a tendency to prefer power fantasies over actual deep RPG systems. Reason being simple... they do not commit to games. They don't or can't invest the time in the game. So they prefer to have all the stuff from the get go. Let's face it... we love the progression not because a level 1 character is fun to play. But because when we hit that high level and start wrecking shit we feel rewarded because we had to earn it. That long journey of micromanaging our character, balancing our equipment and carefully progressing in the environment culminates with our character ascending to near godhood. (Figuratively.) Skyrim... Basicly go. "Hey, you are dragonborn and super special. You litterally succ dragon souls. Now take that knowledge with you and go wreck shit." within what.... the first hour?

The usual defense I get from people when I bring up that point is: "But, he is the Dragonborn!". Because of wich I cannot help myself but smiles as I reply: "Well, in Morrowind I was a reincarnated Dark Elf christ figure. Well, no... I actually had to earn even that."

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Over time TES games have become IMHO less open world and more like being herded down a cattle shoot where someone has figured out how the story will work and you are just along for the ride. I never completed Daggerfall, Morrowind or Oblivion. Of those 3, I liked Oblivion the least and just gave up playing after a while. The leveling felt terribly artificial. Okay, you've leveled and now bandits are wearing glass armor. Bleh! The game right off the bat gave you a feeling of powerlessness. Okay, the Emporer is going to die and you can't stop it. Shut up this is our story and you are just along for the ride. The whole thing felt contrived. Skyrim I did finish because the whole game was a powertrip. Everything there was easy enough to constantly make me feel clever without having to struggle with too much thinking.

Arena made me really engaged. There was a bad guy and he was really bad and wanted me dead. I wanted to defeat him and I struggled to do so.

Daggerfall did not engage me the way Arena did. I was less interested in the main quest as I was being in the world. After the Emporer's message, there was no personal connection. There was no threat to me. I could just wander off and do as I pleased. and I did.

Morrowind was all about exploring an alien landscape. I was very disappointed that the game was so small. Todd Howard was not a roleplayer. This shows, as games he develops are stories where you are along for the ride. Eventually, there were no more neato things to see and I lost interest.

Oblivion was small like Morrowind and had nothing very interesting in it. The leveled world broke verisimilitude for me and I very quickly lost interest.

Skyrim had Dragons! Things were interesting again and the game totally went about holding my hand and making me feel nothing was impossible and I could not fail because really that's how that was. I really enjoyed the power of being a sniper. Most of my foes never saw me coming. That was an aspect of play I really enjoyed. It was stupid how NPCs would be shot, be unable to find me and then would forget I was even there.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ommamar wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm I have always enjoyed the journey more then ascending to gaming "god hood" but I am a strange guy who loves making different builds that I get to end game then start over. I have managed to finish the "main" story in at least 50% of the games of late.
This is where I am as well. The interesting part is of the game is creating a concept build and then seeing him/her struggle through whatever story Daggerfall throws your way. Once the game starts to get easy, I lose interest and make a new character.

I recently realized something about myself: If I start a game and it kills me in the tutotrial, I get a lot more interested in the game. Of course sometimes it turns out to just be a bad game, but I seem to be a lot more lenient with flaws in games if they just say from the get-go "I am going to try to kill you constantly. Try to stop me."
And Daggerfall fit right in that category. I can forgive Daggerfall all its flaws simply for how aggressively it tries to kill me at times :D

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:25 am
Ommamar wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 pm I have always enjoyed the journey more then ascending to gaming "god hood" but I am a strange guy who loves making different builds that I get to end game then start over. I have managed to finish the "main" story in at least 50% of the games of late.
This is where I am as well. The interesting part is of the game is creating a concept build and then seeing him/her struggle through whatever story Daggerfall throws your way. Once the game starts to get easy, I lose interest and make a new character.

I recently realized something about myself: If I start a game and it kills me in the tutotrial, I get a lot more interested in the game. Of course sometimes it turns out to just be a bad game, but I seem to be a lot more lenient with flaws in games if they just say from the get-go "I am going to try to kill you constantly. Try to stop me."
And Daggerfall fit right in that category. I can forgive Daggerfall all its flaws simply for how aggressively it tries to kill me at times :D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

I wanted to make a joke mod on Daggerfall about Skyrim...

But, there is just no way I'm going to beat that thing: https://youtu.be/n3cenpQ09_E

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Hell no!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Tomorrow it will be 8 years since TES Skyrim.

Their main franchise. Their golden vault of money. The serie that made Bethesda known and well established. Skyrim took 6 years to create.
Yet after 8 years, we have not seem anything substantial about TES6.

What we saw is Beth transforming to this classical "shareholders 1st" corporation with unlimited amount of greed fueling all its decisions.

We saw the "16 times the detail" and "it just works" lies. SJW appeasing. Game as a service plague. Micro and macro transactions. Pay to win.
We saw Fallout 4 and especially 76. Butchering of a Wolfenstein franchise...

The trend is obvious :cry:

Unless theres some 180 degree turn, the Beth is officially dead and TES with them.

But

Their death will finally clean the market and monopoly on the good 1st person RPGs. And we get new games like Outer Worlds.
Beth cant keep up with that. Its the last nail to their coffin. They dont have the skills and talent to create a good TES anymore.

So in the end of the day, its good they are dead. We will not have to rely on one single company to create a game for us.

PS: lets not forget Skyrim without mods is not really a great game. It was the players who made it good, despite Bethesda. So the trend goes on longer than it appears...

RIP TES

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

I fully agree. Fallout 4 really ruined Bethsoft for me. Between Bowdlerizing the Lore into some Nazis vs other Nazis vs The Only Good People in the World crap fest, all the DLC was based on some minecraft-like builder system. They had 2 story arcs added, both short and low quality, pushing what I felt wasn't really very "Fallout". Gone was the shades of grey. The enemies weren't relatable and the heroes were clear and unambiguous.

I got out of the sh-- show before Fallout 76 hit, gladly.