WINE and Proton gaming

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Jay_H

WINE and Proton gaming

Post by Jay_H »

Isles of Adalar Demo is not available on your current platform.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Keep trying guys! Throw away willing money! :lol: How hard is it to port a demo to Linux?

Ommamar

Re: Isles of Adalar

Post by Ommamar »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 am
Isles of Adalar Demo is not available on your current platform.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Keep trying guys! Throw away willing money! :lol: How hard is it to port a demo to Linux?
I don't use Linux so maybe a silly question but is the steam platform different for Linux or is it not available on the Linux platform?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Steam developed a specific platform for Linux, called Steam OS for Linux. Tons of games play on it, especially newer indy ones. It's only a little less available than Steam for Mac now :) But the developers of Adalar just didn't decide to make a Linux version.

For example, Mount and Blade Warband is installable on Windows, Mac, and Linux (SteamOS), as shown with the three icons there.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I see what you are saying. Game is still in development so maybe it will come to Linux and Mac OS. I think it has a lot of potential so I will keep an eye on it but definitely some things they can change to make it better.

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:37 pm Steam developed a specific platform for Linux, called Steam OS for Linux. Tons of games play on it, especially newer indy ones. It's only a little less available than Steam for Mac now :) But the developers of Adalar just didn't decide to make a Linux version.

For example, Mount and Blade Warband is installable on Windows, Mac, and Linux (SteamOS), as shown with the three icons there.
Does it actually block proton? You seem like you know what you're doing, but just in case this.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

IIRC Proton's sort of like WINE, in that it needs to be individually configured for each game. It's a work in progress, depending on how many people work on it. I honestly haven't looked if Adalar has Proton compatibility, but devs should really think beyond the word "Windows" when they're looking for new customers :?

Thanks for the suggestion, in any case :)

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:18 am IIRC Proton's sort of like WINE, in that it needs to be individually configured for each game. It's a work in progress, depending on how many people work on it. I honestly haven't looked if Adalar has Proton compatibility, but devs should really think beyond the word "Windows" when they're looking for new customers :?

Thanks for the suggestion, in any case :)
Neither WINE nor Proton need to be individually configured for each game, they're also both multi-purpose. But by default Proton is only enabled for selected titles, you can force it, which often works. Protondb, which you linked, shows what luck people have had with different games, so far Isles of Adalar hasn't been rated, so it's worth a shot. Plenty of games (Everything rated platinum) almost always work without any configuration.

Very few native Linux games is certainly disappointing, but the market share is slim, and from what I've heard (I'm quite new), WINE and proton have made things much better in the last few years.

pango

Post by pango »

CHAPPJO wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:44 am Neither WINE nor Proton need to be individually configured for each game, they're also both multi-purpose.
Well, when I was deep into Wine, writing (GoG) install scripts for PlayOnlinux between 2011 and 2015, it certainly did require configuration, or games required configuration to work best under Wine. Took between a few hours to 3 or 4 days of testing to make sure a game worked as well as I could manage on my gear.

I'm sure Wine improved since then (it did improve over those 4 years already), but on the other hand Windows is a moving target, so I don't know how much tweaking it requires those days.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

pango wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:12 am
CHAPPJO wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:44 am Neither WINE nor Proton need to be individually configured for each game, they're also both multi-purpose.
Well, when I was deep into Wine, writing (GoG) install scripts for PlayOnlinux between 2011 and 2015, it certainly did require configuration, or games required configuration to work best under Wine. Took between a few hours to 3 or 4 days of testing to make sure a game worked as well as I could manage on my gear.

I'm sure Wine improved since then (it did improve over those 4 years already), but on the other hand Windows is a moving target, so I don't know how much tweaking it requires those days.
Lot's of games work fine without configuration. Again, see protondb.
Morrowind and Skyrim are both rated gold, which means they should work fine after some small tweaks.
Oblivion is platinum which means it should work fine default.

Proton is WINE with some difference components for DirectX to Open GL/Vulkan translation, and some extra patches. It works with many different games, recently i tried the demo for FUEL, a forgotten 2009 game, while it didn't render properly on WINE, it worked fine through proton, no tweaks.

EDIT: Certain tweaks could make the games work better, but, for the most part, they work so well, it probably doesn't really matter.

EDIT2: Fixed the link, sorry about that.

Jay_H

Re: WINE and Proton gaming

Post by Jay_H »

I've thoroughly derailed the original topic, so I've split it out into another :lol: