Older games recommendations

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
sebastian7

Re: Older games recommendations

Post by sebastian7 »

Great lists so far - I thought I'd throw in some spiderweb software games since no one has done that yet. These are really good in depth old RPGs:

Exile 3 - Ruined World
Geneforge 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
Avernum: Escape the pit
Nethergate Resurrection Image
Check out my let's play series of modded daggerfall where I showcase all the great work people here have done: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hwqq1ioAdW

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Ah, good ol' Nethack and ADOM. But when it comes to traditional roguelikes, my goto is Dugeon Crawl Stone Soup. Though occasionally I'll play a bit of IVAN.

The first time I played Dungeon Master was the SNES port in the early late 80's/early 90's. Being the kid I was, I never knew it was originally a PC game. I did later play DM2 on PC, though. I didn't finish it, but I did play it. I played Eye of the Beholder on SNES first, as well.

I also remember trying everything I could, but never got Lands of Lore running on my PC at home. I tested it on my band director's school computer, and it worked there. So at some point my dad finally upgraded from Win3.1 to Win95 (or maybe it was 98) and I managed to get the game working.

I saw some other favorites of mine as well (Stonekeep was great) Ultima7+Silver Isle was probably my favorite, what with finding the extra companions besides the usual characters. Though I did like the NES port of Quest of the Avatar, and I also liked Fals Prophet on both SNES and PC. I liked Ultima 8 just fine even if it was a departure. Ultima 9...well....yeah.....I didn't hate it....but.....yeah.

As far as newer ports of Ultima 5, check out the Lazarus project remake. It is complete. Uses the Dungeon Siege engine to run, so you have to own Dungeon Siege and have it installed. It is not an easy game, but works fine, otherwise. (though I do find it gets a little buggy with companions if you have more than 4 in your party).
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think I will update the 1st post with all games mentioned and sorted. Will let u know when its done

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

ByteMixer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 am Ultima 9...well....yeah.....I didn't hate it....but.....yeah.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I totally understand. The most disappointing thing it was that it wasn't an open world anymore. It felt also really dumbed down, the story was awful and the game and characters you found felt totally disconnected from previous games. I also didn't like combat and magic, I remember a lot of fighting with rats throwing stones using magic, with a really annoying combat music :roll:

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Not that old game, but Arx Fatalis is good one too. Shame that it never got any sequels.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Firebrand wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:31 pm
ByteMixer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 am Ultima 9...well....yeah.....I didn't hate it....but.....yeah.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I totally understand. The most disappointing thing it was that it wasn't an open world anymore. It felt also really dumbed down, the story was awful and the game and characters you found felt totally disconnected from previous games. I also didn't like combat and magic, I remember a lot of fighting with rats throwing stones using magic, with a really annoying combat music :roll:
Rats throwing stones with magic vs screaming monkeys with telepathic attacks!

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Firebrand wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:31 pmI remember a lot of fighting with rats throwing stones using magic
I remember that the "throw rock" spell was a cantrip (I think it was even free) and that you could cast it several times per second. So, for a very long ways into the game, the easiest/most successful attack was to spam a stream of rocks at whatever was attacking you...

The biggest problem I had was that I got it kind of early after release, when they hadn't worked out the DirectX port properly yet, and fighting with settings and wrappers and everything else trying to get a vaguely playable state. I've seen the introductory section several dozen times. I can't even try to play the game any more because as soon as the intro starts up I start screaming and pounding the ESC key...

I did manage to get past the intro ONCE after it was stable to play, and wandered around, and just generally hated the entire experience. Hated the dungeons, hated the way everything looked, hated the story... I guess I played it through the first time just out of irritation at having fought so hard to make it playable.

The one bright spot that I feel I must give somebody credit for is that the jumping system was wonderful. I hate platform puzzles, but everything "just worked" for me -- even jumping from pillar to pillar, which is usually a huge pain. I was 90% through the game before I missed a jump, and then had to actually figure out what I was doing wrong -- and boy did I feel stupid then. When you tell the Avatar to jump, it calculated a jump to take you to the ground location that your crosshair was pointing at (if possible, or just a maximal jump if you looked too far away). So, reflexively, if you're looking where you want to go, you just make these perfect jumps. I just happened to be looking past the jump point or at my feet or something and whiffed the jumps...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Updated the 1st post with all the games.

I need some free text editor, feed it with all the entries, sort it from A-Z...

That will help me get rid of duplicates and might help with orientation.

I was thinking also about sorting it by genre, but that comes laters, if I decide to do so

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:56 pm I need some free text editor, feed it with all the entries, sort it from A-Z...
You're on Windows? Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/) is quite nice. Under the Edit menu, Line Operations, there are several Sort options (Lexicographically Ascending is the first and most likely)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks mate, I will try that tomorrow :)