Thoughts/opinions on Elder Scrolls game series in general

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Ommamar

Re: Thoughts/opinions on Elder Scrolls game series in general

Post by Ommamar »

The thing about ESO is they made some great decisions and implemented some really good ideas but a lot of the old ones still linger and have to be worked around. Originally unless you paid for it by buying a certain version of the game all the factions where locked to 3 races based on faction areas. When they released Tamriel unlimited they got rid of that aspect to really open the game up on the PVE side. The problem was they insisted on keeping the 3 faction system which was a total arbitrary (particularly from a lore stand point) system grouping 3 of the races into one faction with imperials which required a different version as well being able to join any faction at character creation. Which they where then locked into for the duration of that characters life. So the faction system is still there but only effects the PVP areas, I remember there was a petition on the forums for awhile to create a guild vs guild vs guild server but as I haven't seen anything from ZOS I am going to assume it didn't gain any traction.

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

L57 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:33 pm WTF? It's hard to remember a game where character leveling puts player at a disadvantage
There are lots, but most of those are made in the East. Final Fantasy 6-8 spring to mind.
So the faction system is still there but only effects the PVP areas
Thank Christ I bought it after world pvp was put to sleep then.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

L57 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:33 pm
Mobs are scaled up to your level wherever you go and so is loot, but it feels much less stupid than in, say, Oblivion - no bandits wearing glass armour will try to rob you for a couple gold pieces and it keeps all questing areas somewhat challenging.
Sometimes this makes me wonder can Oblivion be considered a really good, well-crafted role playing game objectively?

I mean, isn't it totally broken? As far as I remember, you virtually have no incentive to become stronger, because of that stupid leveling system. Besides minimum level requirements for daedra quests, there is no any point to raise your level. You simply can beat a game being 1st level and it was the EASIEST strategy to beat this game, at least for newcomers. WTF? It's hard to remember a game where character leveling puts player at a disadvantage :D Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I remembered TES IV.
If we are strictly talking about RPGs in the classic sense, Oblivion and Skyrim are complete garbage at it. They are simply open world fantasy games with some RPG elements. With that said, all the TES games have an enemy leveling system, all enemies scale with your character level. Daggerfall has this too, this is why there are now mods like Unleveled Mobs. Skyrim has the Requiem overhaul mod and Oblivion has Obscuro's Overhaul, both place various level enemies in different places allowing you to encounter a level 40 enemy at level 1. Yeah you better run! I don't ever play Oblivion without the Obscuro's Overhaul mod.

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

Tes online offsets the tedium nicely - I think - by making the encounters more varied. There are mobs that are trivial (eg skeevers), ones that are trickier (cliff racers) and ones that can kill you quickly if you don't pay attention (daedroths) regardless of level, due to their health, attack patterns and how hard they hit.
Moreover, I don't think your character should hit a hundred times as hard because they're more experienced like in most RPGs. I think that comes across with the more varied skill sets that synergise more optimally, making you feel more resourceful and prepared, and the champion levels that give you tiny amounts of passive bonuses and perks at milestones. Honestly the first fifty levels are just for faffing about I think.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

DaveCastle wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am Tes online offsets the tedium nicely - I think - by making the encounters more varied. There are mobs that are trivial (eg skeevers), ones that are trickier (cliff racers) and ones that can kill you quickly if you don't pay attention (daedroths) regardless of level, due to their health, attack patterns and how hard they hit.
Moreover, I don't think your character should hit a hundred times as hard because they're more experienced like in most RPGs. I think that comes across with the more varied skill sets that synergise more optimally, making you feel more resourceful and prepared, and the champion levels that give you tiny amounts of passive bonuses and perks at milestones. Honestly the first fifty levels are just for faffing about I think.
Once the champion system was implemented I wondered why they didn't just allow you to choose a point pool along with a champion point. Keep the skill progression or even expand the skill leveling system show you can have 3 different paths to follow once the skill has hit max level. This would allow for a choice of control, damage, or survival, I am sure most would go with damage but I always enjoy the go against the grain choices being available.