Rant about Steam

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Hazelnut

Rant about Steam

Post by Hazelnut » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:54 pm

As an introduction, I've been a loyal user of Steam for 15 years since Valve launched HL2 requiring the service. Over the years I found it a good way of centralising my online purchases and just ignored the DRM and online stuff favouring the generally good service and ease of use. I have about 250 games on my account and have spent almost all of my money for games that way for years now.

I recently decided to give No Mans Sky a try and purchased it in the Autumn sale for £20 but got busy and only more recently tried to play it. It crashed twice in the 2 hours I tried to play, and was not compelling enough to persist with especially because it lost 20+ mins of progress each time. Progress was painful too because the UI is atrocious. So I figured I would request a refund since it keeps crashing for me and is pretty much unplayable. All I can get from Steam is automated replies that I've exceeded the 2 week window after purchase. Simply cannot get a person to look at it and consider that a loyal customer is having an awful experience and would prefer to spend that money on a more deserving product. They're right I have exceeded their basic refund policy, although I thought it would be from install date rather than purchase date - that's my mistake, but I did request a refund on the day I installed the game. I have a lot of games that I didn't take to and will never play more than a few hours on there, and that's fine - I accept that, but a game that keeps crashing when it has a stupid save point system like NMS? That deserves a refund in my mind.

I've been getting more and more jaded about Steam over the past couple of years, but habits and inertia simply keeps me using it. The fact they take a 30% cut of each purchase but still can't actually offer any decent customer support from this money is inexcusable after all these years. Anyway, this is the last straw for me I think, and the recent change to the library tab which was forced on users also contributed to my annoyance. Not going to buy from Steam if I can get a game on GoG from now on, and in hindsight I have no idea why I've been so loyal to the platform and Valve as a company for all this time.

Rant over. :D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

james2k

Re: Rant about Steam

Post by james2k » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:50 pm

I always hated how in the old days they always tried to force me to download games even when I had a physical disc(which was infuriating on my slow internet at the time) and how they'd always try to update games automatically no matter how many times I turned it off. Eventually they seemed to get better for both of those things, but I've still gotten very little benefit out of the platform, which I only originally got because Skyrim required it. Besides the sales, the only benefit of it is the social aspect - which is completely broken. It's a gargantuan effort to try and find friends, the search function is utterly useless and will show you lists of names nothing like the one you just searched while refusing to show ones that actually match it. And voice calls are so bad that it's easier(and more secure) to just add all your Steam friends on Discord instead. It's just a terrible platform in general.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:45 pm

The NMS inventory renders the game unplayable. I have no idea how ppl can play and enjoy that game. Its IMHO the worse inventory system I have ever seen in my whole life. And Ive seen 1000s

I completely understand the rant. But I also completely understand why they ignore you. Too many ppl on the platform for any kind of personal approach.

I think supporting DRM free GOG is a good idea.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:44 am

Meh, i learned to deal with NMS inventory. It's not good, but after you get the hang of things i don't think its too bad. I personally like the game, and i have had near zero issues with it...aside from few annoying bugs in previous versions.
You can't have a nightmare if you never dream.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:44 am

NMS also just released its eight free massive expansion pack(all expansions are free in NMS), and it included some inventory and other QOL improvements.
You can't have a nightmare if you never dream.

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:57 pm

I have run into something similar before - I've only ever had to refund Dark Corners of the Earth 'cos it crashed at a specific point and they complied without much fuss; later they took it down from the store altogether 'cos it barely worked for anyone who bought it - and if I recall correctly, you can appeal their decision. You can give details like you didn't try to see if the game worked immediately after purchasing it on your phone 'cos you were spending time with your family rather than on the computer or summat. If you bang on the table assertively enough, they may have a support person take a look. To be fair, it's indeed somewhat unreasonable to expect them to have some guy check every complaint from the get-go. I'm not saying they definitely will help you, but there's a chance if you can be arsed.

Slightly off-topic, but I'd recommend checking out Elite: Dangerous should you feel like scratching that space exploration itch. It's the superior game in all possible respects.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:18 pm

Steam hasn't been the best service for me either. I can't really tell you what gaming library platform I like aside from maybe GoG. Everything else is the same to me and far from what I would like to see. I still have most my games on Steam with the occasional purchase on Epic or other platforms. From what I know, Steam's gaming refund system is automated and you'd have to really bother Support to get anywhere.

Steams policy says:
The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store.
I've just had to be really careful on what games I purchase and what games I return and when. I never buy a game at launch or pre-release. I never buy a game that I don't know enough about and don't know if I would actually like the game or even play it. I do plenty of research on a game I'm interested in like reading reviews or watching other people play the game. When I purchase a game I also try my best to test basic functions of the game for bugs or other issues within less than an hour so I don't reach beyond the refund offer time limit if I do need a refund. It's all extra work but saves on a lot a headache and money. ;)

As far as No Man's Sky, I have been impressed with the many awesome improvements they have made to the game the past year or so. It makes the game playable and fun. Like others here I've gotten used to the inventory system. I have not checked out the new updates though.
Using Daggerfall Unity Alpha 0.10.25 - Win 64 bit

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:53 am

The updates that make the game less arduous to play don't help much if it keeps crashing on him.
- Mark Twain

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:54 pm

I was trying to make more of a point about Steam games and needing to be very careful about what games you buy and when. Steam's refund policy isn't very forgiving and it can be tricky to work with it. They don't allow refunds to major title games beyond the refund policy limits (2 weeks after purchase, 2+ hours of gameplay). That's just a fact.

As far as No Mans Sky - Any updates to the game should improve stability/crash issues. Updates don't just improve/add features. They are constantly working on stability improvements all the time. The last time I played NMS, over 8 months ago, the game maybe crashed once every 6 hours and set me back maybe 10 to 15 minutes and that was much more stable than the previous versions of the game I've played. Of course it could be some hardware/software issue external to the game that is causing the game to crash more often for some people.

If anyone wants to play No Mans Sky they will need to keep up with the latest updates and patches. If it's an issue external to the game then probably best to look up the problem (Google) to see if there is a solution to the issue or hash it out with the NMS developers in the "Help Center" on their website.
Using Daggerfall Unity Alpha 0.10.25 - Win 64 bit

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:54 am

Steam updates the game clients with the latest patches automatically anyway. It's great that it's working for you fine, but for Hazelnut it isn't. Moreover, it's a tall order to be careful about your purchases if you can't know in advance whether they're going to work properly.

On the other hand, I'd at least look into trying to get it to work if Mr. Steam is adamant about not refunding it.
- Mark Twain