Daggerfall Setup for Linux

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Taemos

Re: Daggerfall Setup for Linux

Post by Taemos » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Hello. Testing isn't so much needed with Ubuntu (it's what I'm usually on), but I've updated the first post with a new link to v0.53. The view-based option should work now (although the Y-axis may be inverted by default) and Daggerfall will now close the DOSBox window on exit. I hope you get some use out of it.

Franchiver

Post by Franchiver » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Thank you very much! I tried it. The install process didn't show any signs of failure, yet I encountered some issues I'd like to share with you:

- In Linux Mint, the desktop folder is named in the local language (in my case "Bureau"). That makes the script crash at trying to create the desktop icon (it relies on "<home directory>/Desktop"). I fixed that with a symlink.

- When trying to uninstall the game (either alone or along with DOSBox), choosing *not* to keep my savegames causes the script to quit immediately without deleting anything.

-The game doesn't seem to capture the mouse when run in windowed mode (configured in dagger.conf).
Last edited by Franchiver on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taemos

Post by Taemos » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:15 am

I stand corrected. I guess it did need some testing. :)

I've added a check for the icon; if no "Desktop" directory is found it should just continue without creating an icon. If there's an easy way of discovering a "Desktop" directory without adding an exception for each language then I'm interested in hearing it, otherwise this will probably remain an "English only" feature. To be honest, I usually remove the icon - I just assumed it would be something others would like. As for the script quitting after choosing not to keep saved games, I simply forgot to add any functionality to that part of the script. Silly me.

The mouse capturing behavior will remain the same. It's easy enough to set "autolock=true" in the config and I'd rather that not be default behavior. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

New link has been added. I'm not the best at testing this stuff (working on other projects at the moment) but if any more issues are found I'll do my best to fix them quickly.

pango

Post by pango » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:37 am

Following to freedesktop.org standards,

Code: Select all

$ test -f ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/user-dirs.dirs && source ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/user-dirs.dirs
$ echo ${XDG_DESKTOP_DIR:-$HOME/Desktop}
(source: https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs/)
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Taemos

Post by Taemos » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:02 am

pango wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:37 am
Following to freedesktop.org standards,

Code: Select all

$ test -f ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/user-dirs.dirs && source ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/user-dirs.dirs
$ echo ${XDG_DESKTOP_DIR:-$HOME/Desktop}
(source: https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs/)
Thanks for that! I have XDG-related environmental variables but not those exactly, so the script pulls from the output of "xdg-user-dir DESKTOP" now. I've made a few other changes, like setting the default to overlay instead of surface and making the window a default resolution of 1024x768.

@Franchiver - I've set autolock on. I thought the setting was going to immediately grab the mouse when DOSBox started, but it simply allows me to click the window and the mouse is captured, which does seem nice. I hope this helps.

Edit: Added new version/link for Arena

Franchiver

Post by Franchiver » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Thank you very much! So far, both games and their install scripts seem working well!
(though, on second thought, I configured Daggerfall to run in full screen and all its pixellated glory :D )