Arena and Daggerfall Installers for Linux

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Taemos

Re: Daggerfall Setup for Linux

Post by Taemos »

I see. Keep in mind that there are spins available with different desktop environments (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.). I don't like stock Ubuntu's Unity UI either. I only bring this up because I remember Debian being extremely irritating to arrange in a way that I found tolerable - for example not having a user-accessible directory to place programs (at least, not something I can find in the default user path). Linux Mint was nice, but the recent security mishaps make me wary of recommending them to anyone. If Debian is working fine for you then that's fine; this was more of a personal curiosity than anything relevant to the script.

Don't worry about OS installs unless you were planning on already going through that process. Thanks for the offer, though.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I see we share the same attitude about these things :) Let me know if you need to test an update.

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

New version uploaded. I've been rather busy with Real Life things and I'm not sure how many people are actually using this, anyway. I've changed the desktop shortcut to be a little more adaptable across platforms, as well as added an option for using a WASD/Mouselook control scheme by default.

Note: If you've previously installed using v0.45 or earlier, you must use the older version of the script (v0.45) to uninstall if that's what you want to do. The new installer will NOT completely remove it. This will not be a problem in future releases.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I won't be able to test this yet, but if you want some more exposure, you can try the Daggerfall reddit, the Elder Scrolls reddit, or the UESP Daggerfall forum.

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

Thanks Jay. I posted it on reddit in r/Daggerfall and r/linux_gaming a few weeks ago to mixed/positive response (seemed to get a few downvotes in r/Daggerfall and I'm not quite sure why). I'll probably post it on the UESP forums and github when my apartment isn't in need of such cleaning and I'm not feeling so lazy. It's pretty much done with the exception of translations and some additional quest packages, so permanent hosting is more on my mind at this point.

My next project was going to be an Eye of Argonia equivalent for Linux except with selections for view distance (instead of one-size-fits-all), but I'm considerably less experienced in Python so it'll be awhile.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Taemos wrote:(seemed to get a few downvotes in r/Daggerfall and I'm not quite sure why).
Reddit can be a very strange place, where the best of topics get the worst of votes :)

I had some time to test 0.5 under Linux Mint 18 64-bit. It broke during the process, and was unable to finish:

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

I uploaded a fixed version (should be, anyway). I tried to do some reorganizing in my last update and that obviously broke one section. :oops:

Thanks for catching that.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Well, it turns out Windows XP decided to lock itself up behind an activation wall, and MS is refusing my product key. In other words, your setup method is now my go-to for Daggerfall :D Thank you for doing this!

tyhender

Post by tyhender »

Noice.

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

I finally got around to doing the same for Arena. Check the first post if you're interested.

Copy/paste from UESP because I'm lazy: :)

I wrote a shell script for installing Daggerfall a couple of months ago and finally got around to adapting it for Arena. I tested a few different core types and they all seem to have pretty much the same speed to me (with cycles at max), so I just left it at "auto". I know there's more to the core type than just speed, so as with anything else, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Cycles are set to max, so the game will probably run pretty fast by default. It runs about how I remember it on my Pentium 60 so I'm used to it, but your mileage may vary. Tested on a Phenom II X4 @ 3.0ghz, 8GB RAM running Ubuntu 16.10 / Cinnamon.

I hope someone finds this helpful. Cheers.