What games would you like to see get the DFU treatment?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Thane5

Re: What games would you like to see get the DFU treatment?

Post by Thane5 »

XJDHDR wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:29 pm Where can we find Redguard for Unity?
At the moment you can't, i'm developing it as a private project for now (i'm only posting updates in a discord server). This is because i had to manually convert models and textures in advance and store them in the project files, so offering the game as a download would be a copyright violation similar to piracy.

Of course eventually we want to have tools like DFUnity does, that let users convert their own files locally, but thats still a long way to go.

Then, unlike DF, Redguard is still a commercial game on stores like GOG, so we're not quite sure yet if Bethesda would allow this kind of total conversion project at all (I recall that they shut down an Oblivion mod for that reason).

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

If it were possible, I believe Birthright:Gorgons Alliance(A long lost hidden gem) would be worthy of(and in need of) a unity remake. If only somebody out there had the skills and desire to do so... I would "lend" my priceless game disk if someone was serious about it. The developer of that game went defunct a long time ago, so I doubt they would care.

You can actually play the original game on this website(though it runs horribly), if you wanted to check it out - https://classicreload.com/birthright-th ... iance.html However I dont think it has the character editor or DM controls. Just the base game. You could also watch lets plays of it on youtube to see what the game is about. I made one myself too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmaYKbLPGpw&t=3s

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

On this subject, I recently decided to start a project with the ultimate goal of getting TES4: Oblivion and Beth's other RPGs running on the Unity engine. It's still very early days so it'll likely be a number of years before even one game is remotely playable.

https://github.com/XJDHDR/BethBryo_for_Unity

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I'm pretty sure OpenMW has come a long way toward making an open engine for the later Bethsoft games. Certainly for Morrowind
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

jayhova wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:21 pm I'm pretty sure OpenMW has come a long way toward making an open engine for the later Bethsoft games. Certainly for Morrowind
  1. My goal is pretty much the same as for DFU: A free engine upgrade for these games built with help from whoever is willing to volunteer their time. Open-source is of secondary importance which means that, unlike OpenMW, I'm perfectly willing to use closed-source software if it helps accomplish this goal. In fact, I absolutely detest open-source elitists, which the OpenMW community appears to condone. I can't even copy any of the code they have already written because GPL.
  2. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. OpenMW was built to run Morrowind only, not any of the other games. While there have been some efforts in recent times to change this, it is still light years away from supporting any of the other games. Currently, the only thing OpenMW has is support for BSAs and experimental support for NIFs from later games. Most of the development right now is still in the continued improvement of Morrowind.
  3. Because I'm not limiting myself to "open-source only", I can potentially take advantage of all the things Unity has to offer that OpenSceneGraph and OpenMW doesn't. Examples include Data Oriented Programming, DX12 and Vulkan support, better multithreading, raytracing (including hardware accelerated), HDR monitor support and so on. As another example: OpenMW is currently working on implementing navmesh support to upgrade Morrowind's existing system (and it's pretty much essential for supporting anything from Fallout 3 onwards). Unity already has this.
The OpenMW devs are welcome to continue working on their engine and add whatever features they like. I'm still going to continue working on my project though.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:37 am
XJDHDR wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:14 pm It would be very nice to see Pharaoh, Zeus and Emperor get a new engine though. Probably the best way would be by forking Augustus and adding the required mechanics. The Julius dev did say that around 1/3 of the game's code is walker mechanics and that there are many differences between even C3 and Pharaoh, let alone the later games.
I read through the issue discussion, I think this game series would benefit from a modular framework where you can swap out whatever logic needs to be changed but that's a massive undertaking.
I just discovered that someone is busy modifying Augustus to play Pharaoh: https://github.com/Banderi/Ozymandias

Edit: And here's the dev's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnx1Lj ... VkG91SucaA