What games would you like to see get the DFU treatment?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
HalfBaked

What games would you like to see get the DFU treatment?

Post by HalfBaked »

DFU is amazing! I'm hoping it sparks interest in creating other Unity DOS RPGs. I'd like to see Ravenloft Strahd's Possession remastered because it doesn't let scalers work in DOSbox and seems like maybe some emulation issues. Lol, I'll try just about anything that's moddable, though. Sorry if wrong board, I just figured since not directly discussing DFU.

King of Worms

Re: What games would you like to see get the DFU treatment?

Post by King of Worms »

Ultima underworld 1 + 2 :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:29 pm Ultima underworld 1 + 2 :)
Exactly my thought as well. Ultima Underworld is super impressive but could really use some help to be a fully functional and completable game. It would probably benefit from some mods as well :D

Edit: it strikes me that both UU and DF are games that I played in the 90s, liked and played quite a bit. But that was that. It's not until now when I look at them again I realize they did stuff I'm still waiting for a new game to do.

HalfBaked

Post by HalfBaked »

I've not played those, though I hear good things. I know Ultima 7 is somewhat moddable, but I can't remember the project name. It can't raise resolution without destroying the gameplay, but other things are available. I think it works with 6, but unsure about earlier than that.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:31 pm
King of Worms wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:29 pm Ultima underworld 1 + 2 :)
Exactly my thought as well. Ultima Underworld is super impressive but could really use some help to be a fully functional and completable game. It would probably benefit from some mods as well :D

Edit: it strikes me that both UU and DF are games that I played in the 90s, liked and played quite a bit. But that was that. It's not until now when I look at them again I realize they did stuff I'm still waiting for a new game to do.
I played ultima 1 like 5 years ago for a 1st time and I was shocked. Like "so this is where all the 3d RPG games Ive ever played copied it from"

Ultima 1 is the mother of all 3d rpgs to me.

Its crazy what is possible to do in that game. And that the mechanics are so easy to get a hold on even today. Thats because the mechanics were used till present.

Real masterpiece.

Falci

Post by Falci »

Hehe... I've been thinking about starting a thread like this recently. :)

I'd love Sim City 2000 to get the DFU treatment.

I'm actually surprised it never got it, to this day. I know about OpenSC2K, but that got crushed by EA* and it never seemed to get back up, which is a shame, really.

I know SC3000 is very similar, but it isn't the same, really. But perhaps that's the reason for 2K never getting a modern fan port.

* Because they were distributing the actual game's contents with it.

Alth

Post by Alth »

I wanted to try reverse engineering G-Police but I don't know anything about how to do that haha. I played that game a lot.
SimCity 2000 is a good one but what about SimTown and SimCopter? ;)

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Seconding the Ultima Underworld 1 + 2 thing.

Aside from that... definitely some of the classic D&D DOS games like Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession or Menzoberranzan.

Also this is kind of a weird idea because it's technically a game that's still under developement but... I'd love for Dwarf Fortress to eventually get a engine port or upgrade that opens up the actual core of the game to modding. As it stands now, it's ridiculously easy to mod content like new races, new items, creatures, and anything else that gets injected through the raw/objects folder, but ridiculously hard to actually change how the game itself works, resulting in a modding scene that's brimming with thousands upon thousands of total conversion mods, but only has a couple mods that actually modify gameplay in any substantial way.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Is Underworld Exporter being developed still? There was an earlier project too, called Underworld Adventures (current SF page is dead though).

Falci

Post by Falci »

Another game I'd like to see get the DFU treatment is Betrayal at Krondor. That's a great game that needs a great deal of user friendly improvements besides the usual engine modernization.

Also, I wonder how difficult it would be to expand DFU to play the other Bethesda games that use its engine, that is, the Terminator ones.