Fun fact about Vanilla DF

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
tyhender

Fun fact about Vanilla DF

Post by tyhender »

Here's a little (known) fact about Vanilla DF. Maybe it's not as much about DF as about DOSBox. But DF with DOSBox works better on XP and older-type kernels than Vista+ kernels. Idk why. Also, even if I run virtual XP machine with really limited resources, DF still runs better there.
And running a virtual DOS machine(not DOSBox. Dosbox is OS emulator, but, for example, Oracle's VB also emulates processor, RAM and so on) gives the best results. Also, you don't have to spend your time on setting dat damn refresh rate. Too bad there's no good DOS extenders for VMs , so only native resolution.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Fun fact about Vanilla DF

Post by Narf the Mouse »

My guess would be IPC improvements. More than just clock-speed has improved, and when instructions take fewer clock-cycles, and take different amounts of fewer cycles, well...

Anyway, you could also try PCem; it's got a goal of 100% accuracy WRT old-school (199X) machines. It's not there, but it's pretty good. Also recently updated with Voodoo 2 emulation. Its Voodoo graphics isn't 100%, either, but patches/community patches and testing are getting it closer.

There's a release build about once per year, though, so if you want to check out patches since the last release, you've got to build from source.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.