Elite: Dangerous

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Interkarma

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Interkarma »

None without the ship sorry. The camera suite opens up behind ship (effectively "me" in the game). I usually pan out a bit, but didn't think to pan away enough to keep ship out of frame. You might be able to find a similar screen on Google without the ship.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

One more cargo run, then I'm going exploring.

Got me a 2A fuel scoop...Probably should have gone with 2B; currently, I'd need a loan to buyback.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You should be able to head out a cautious 500-1000k light years with a 15ly range and 2A scoop. My first trip out of the bubble was in a Cobra MKIII with about that sort of range. Just make sure you pack an Advanced Discovery Scanner and Detailed Surface Scanner to get as much exploration data as possible. You should also get an Auto Field Maintenance Unit (AFMU) and an SRV Hanger (if you have Horizons installed). Look for undiscovered systems to maximise returns.

For serious distance, you ideally want a 40ly+ range and a 5A scoop or greater. The Diamondback Explorer and Asp Explorer are incredible for long distances. So is an engineered Dolphin for that matter, which is what I did my trip in (with a 4A scoop because the Dolphin only has a 16t fuel tank). Ideally you can fully scoop while passing a star without having to stop or slow down.

The payouts can be tremendous for long distances too. Over two months, I tracked along one arm of the Milky Way, then up to the roof of the galaxy (it's freaky up there), before making a beeline for Sag A*. I scanned every interesting looking system, neutron star, and earth-like world along the way. I then returned directly to Colonia. It was a total trip of around 45k light years and around 1100-odd jumps. When I sold out all my exploration data, I ended up more than 80 million credits richer. I would have made more if I scanned out more systems, but I was getting very tired of jumping by the end of it all. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Thanks; I may need to make a few more cargo runs, then, to afford all that, and a few buybacks. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Finally got back to this; did a mission to get a buyback reserve; then headed out along a ~570 LY route.

And then I ran into a mayday, attack by pirates, tried to intervene, and...

...Good thing I got a buyback reserve first...

...*Sigh* maybe I should be less helpful?...

Must remember: Not good at combat, not equipped or shipped for combat...

Had some good scans of some planets and stars, too.

There's a definite "Cyberpunk/Shadowrun" air to the game, although I've only read actual plays.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm still out in deep space. I've made my loop out to Sagittarius A*, Colonia, and I'm about 1k Ly past the Collection of Wonders on my way back to the bubble.

I haven't had much time to play lately, but I'll occasionally do another 1k Ly here an there. Will make it back home eventually. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Did a bit of a test run instead, went a few dozen ly out. Figured I should work any problems out now, rather than "five hundred light years...away from home..."

Fuel scooping - So far, not all that hard. Economical route, and at the star, just park it at the left (or right) of your screen, and supercruise around it until you get "Fuel scooping complete". If it starts getting too hot, orbit further out. Or go to the next star. KGB FOAM works for an acronym. Edit: Also, stay outside the orbit line.

-Cargo pods, +Fuel pods - Good idea. Glad I thought of it after the test run.

It's really cool being able to say "Red Alert" and see the fire groups go to attack mode and power go to balanced, but that's more of a VoiceAttack thing. "Cancel Alert Status" is also cool.

Fuel supply gauges are weird. Top thin line is basically "fuel in tank right now". Bottom thick line is basically "fuel in reserve". This is silly, overcomplicates things, and doesn't make sense unless it's supposed to be heating frozen fuel to a gas, but then why not just EM frozen dust particles? Read somewhere while Googling that they're going to change this; hopefully to a single fuel line. Nevertheless, I sorta figured it out on the way back, and Googling clarified the rest.

Saw a Quasar. They look cool, and also dangerous.

Did this in Open Play. Was not ambushed by player pirates.

Totally a later stealth edit: Can now land competently, without scraping paint. Seems to have "clicked". Actually easier to just head straight for the landing pad, then course-correct using visuals and the landing pad display. Saw someone do that on Youtube, and thought "Oh...That works".

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Managed to get my Oculus DK2 working; fiddling with the cords on the *computer helped.

Downsides:

Galaxy map controls gah! did they even beta this?
Pixelated (but DK2; not sure how much CV1 would help; 25% more pixels)
Differences between what eyes saw and fingers felt caused nausea (mostly when using keyboard). Setting up VoiceAttack for the remainder of keyboard stuff should help.
Slightly nauseous, due to pixelation and aforementioned factors.
Eyestrain, mostly due to pixelation, which didn't help the VR galaxy map.

Upside:

I WAS IN SPAAACE! :D *Ahem* It's still awesome.

Flying a spaceship through a monitor is one thing. Actually having a viewpoint inside the spaceship, being able to look around it, having surround sound headphones so every sound comes from exactly where it is...

...It's beautiful. It really is.

Other thoughts:

CV2 maybe more res and cheaper? No actual information, just hoping. :)

Better graphics card, more res, no keyboard contact should deal with most of the nausea. But the first two take time/money.

Also, if you do feel nausea, drop back to desktop as soon as you land; pushing it will just make it worse later.

Even though the VR galaxy map is pretty bad, being amid those stars is still pretty cool.

* Part and parcel of hooking it back up after cleaning out a bunch of dust.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

My VR setup is a Vive with 1.5 supersample. Text is easy to read and I tune out the screen door effect after a while. I hear the CV1 does an better job of rendering text than the Vive, but I wouldn't trade my roomscale for the only seated game I play. I use a Steam Controller for everything, and man that thing is badass when its properly configured. It's like a keyboard, controller, and mouse all had a baby and it somehow got the best features from everyone.

Yeah, there's something amazing about being inside the cockpit in VR. You're actually in a spaceship! I'm still overtaken by wonder whenever I smoothly pilot down to a surface, or dock on a planetary base, or skim across the rings of a gas giant, or drop within a few hundred km of a black hole, or mine asteroids, or rotate for correct alignment in a station...

And the sound design is top-notch as well. Whenever I start falling into a gravity well, I can hear the ship start to creak and groan as the squeeze begins. The engines roar against the pull of gravity as you exit glide. And when I'm waaay out in the black, I'll sometimes drop from supercruise and enjoy the hum of the ship winding down to almost perfect silence, knowing I'm in a totally unscanned system that I'm possibly the first human to explore. Video game or not, it's very compelling.

I've only experienced motion sickness once in Elite. I stupidly SRV'd out over the surface of Mercury (it's very hilly in game) and the constant rolling and tilting smacked me with nausea in like 10 minutes. I barely made it back to the ship and had to lie down on the floor for good 20 minutes after removing the HMD. :oops:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:My VR setup is a Vive with 1.5 supersample. Text is easy to read and I tune out the screen door effect after a while. I hear the CV1 does an better job of rendering text than the Vive, but I wouldn't trade my roomscale for the only seated game I play. I use a Steam Controller for everything, and man that thing is badass when its properly configured. It's like a keyboard, controller, and mouse all had a baby and it somehow got the best features from everyone.

Yeah, there's something amazing about being inside the cockpit in VR. You're actually in a spaceship! I'm still overtaken by wonder whenever I smoothly pilot down to a surface, or dock on a planetary base, or skim across the rings of a gas giant, or drop within a few hundred km of a black hole, or mine asteroids, or rotate for correct alignment in a station...

And the sound design is top-notch as well. Whenever I start falling into a gravity well, I can hear the ship start to creak and groan as the squeeze begins. The engines roar against the pull of gravity as you exit glide. And when I'm waaay out in the black, I'll sometimes drop from supercruise and enjoy the hum of the ship winding down to almost perfect silence, knowing I'm in a totally unscanned system that I'm possibly the first human to explore. Video game or not, it's very compelling.

I've only experienced motion sickness once in Elite. I stupidly SRV'd out over the surface of Mercury (it's very hilly in game) and the constant rolling and tilting smacked me with nausea in like 10 minutes. I barely made it back to the ship and had to lie down on the floor for good 20 minutes after removing the HMD. :oops:
Also I just went in to NVIDIA Experience and my in-game resolution was 1280x720 for some reason. I remember it being 1920x1080 before, so it seems like switching to VR messed up the resolution.

*Test*

...Yep, going into ED: VR sets the resolution to 1280x720 Window.

...Huh?

...Time to Google, I think.