Elite: Dangerous

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Narf the Mouse

Elite: Dangerous

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Saw it mentioned in your Twitter feed. Coincidentally, I just started watching ED videos recently. Pretty much decided to get the game, for the "Daggerfall In Spaaace!" vibe I got off the videos.

Also, because I love space sim and combat games. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Interkarma »

Hey nice! :)

I had a real love-hate relationship with the game early on. I've never been into flight sims (like ever), and needed around 20 hours of play before I even started to feel the slightest bit competent. It's one of those games that reward persistence though and it hooked me after a while. Once I started feeling more comfortable, I moved into VR and grabbed Horizons. I love planetary landings in VR and just hanging out immersed the quiet dark of space at night when everyone else is in bed. I did a 5k LY trip out into the black and back again, getting discovery credit on a few systems.

While browsing the galaxy map, it kind of clicked how much it reminded me of Daggerfall in a lot of ways. All those points of light being a place I can visit, and scan, and trade, and mine. Couple that with the political powerplay and procedural missions, it really seemed to scratch that same explorer's itch. Or maybe I just think about Daggerfall too much.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Hey nice! :)

I had a real love-hate relationship with the game early on. I've never been into flight sims (like ever), and needed around 20 hours of play before I even started to feel the slightest bit competent. It's one of those games that reward persistence though and it hooked me after a while. Once I started feeling more comfortable, I moved into VR and grabbed Horizons. I love planetary landings in VR and just hanging out immersed the quiet dark of space at night when everyone else is in bed. I did a 5k LY trip out into the black and back again, getting discovery credit on a few systems.
Well, you dived right in what looks like the deep end, then. Heh. :)

Star Citizen is another new game in the same vein, and for retro-gaming, there's the original Elite and it's sequel Frontier.

Recently watched a video on Hellion, which is basically sort-of "Multiplier Minecraft In Spaaace!", only not blocky. You have a station, a habitat module, a ship, some EVA suits and supplies. And most everything is broken. The fun is in fixing it...And surviving. Including aggressive other players. Since everyone is in the same boat solar system.

If you're looking for just combat with story, Freespace 1 & 2 are excellent, although old. The controls are very complex; however, a microphone and something like VoiceAttack, combined with linking command names with keyboard presses makes that a lot easier.
Interkarma wrote: While browsing the galaxy map, it kind of clicked how much it reminded me of Daggerfall in a lot of ways. All those points of light being a place I can visit, and scan, and trade, and mine. Couple that with the political powerplay and procedural missions, it really seemed to scratch that same explorer's itch. Or maybe I just think about Daggerfall too much.
Well, I guess it's theoretically possible to think about Daggerfall too much... ;)

But seriously, if you enjoy games like Daggerfall, then you enjoy games like Daggerfall. :)
Interkarma wrote: Anyway, hope you enjoy it!
Sounds like I will. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Training mission #2: So somehow, despite dropping out in the blue speed and distance zone (took me five tries - I'm very rusty with space sims) and coming to a stop within sight range of Anarchy City (or whatever it's called - It's literally filling up most of my forward view)...I failed to arrive properly, and "have to try again".

So...Is it possible to FTL ram objects? Because if you can, that would explain it very well; and I have to wonder about the survivability of anything (asteroids, moons, planets, stars, *black holes - Probably not space-time) if you can.

* Black holes don't let light escape; but if you're FTL, that isn't quite the barrier...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I had a lot of trouble with that training mission as well. I found docking in the game proper to be easier than the training. :) I think the failure conditions aren't tuned properly in tutorial. As long as you're dropping when pins are blue and it says "safe disengage ready", you're pretty much doing everything right.

The flight computer should save you if you try to ram anything too fast in supercruise (planets, stations, whatever). It's the same as emergency dropping, you cop hull damage and a longer FSD cooldown. You can turn the flight assist computer off in the right-hand panel, but I don't know if that will let you ram stuff at speed or not. Worth a test! :)

It's not quite the same, but I have kind of rammed into a planet. I botched my first landing with over 2x Earth masses. It's pretty easy to mess up landings with heavy G in the mix. I just came in too fast and no amount of reverse thrust could fight the inevitable crunch.

Black holes are... really uncomfortable, especially in VR. I've flown very close to the Maia black hole - you get this lensing effect around you and can feel the tipping point of that insanely deep gravity well. Neutron stars are freaky too - I'll let you experience those on your own!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Well, I dove right in the deeper end and played Solo. I completed my first cargo run in a good competent adequate...Well, ok, it got there, and I'm sure those scratches on the station will buff right out. It was only 10 CR for my paint repair, after all.

All of the contacts seem to have learned their business interactions from the school of Face McPunchy. Is it a faction thing, or something more like Morrowind?

Also, there's not much going on here; lotta buy, very little sell; a few thousand dollars for cargo runs. They want anything tech, and are selling a lot of not much.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote:Well, I dove right in the deeper end and played Solo. I completed my first cargo run in a good competent adequate...Well, ok, it got there, and I'm sure those scratches on the station will buff right out. It was only 10 CR for my paint repair, after all.
:lol:
Narf the Mouse wrote: All of the contacts seem to have learned their business interactions from the school of Face McPunchy. Is it a faction thing, or something more like Morrowind?
It's a rep grind for sure. Missions get better once you hit friendly with a station and cordial with superpower. It's a real grind though, be sure to mix it up and try a bit of everything to not get burned out.
Narf the Mouse wrote: Also, there's not much going on here; lotta buy, very little sell; a few thousand dollars for cargo runs. They want anything tech, and are selling a lot of not much.
Early on, I just ran basic delivery missions to build up my flight confidence. Keep punching at the basics and the better stuff will slowly become available.

I'm enjoying tourism missions right now. They usually take you somewhere interesting or beautiful, and once you know a few tricks you can cross vast distances more quickly.

And grab yourself a better discovery scanner when you can. "Honk" every system you go into and sell discovery data for profit and rep. That adds up over time.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Yeah, I just bought a load of 6T grain harvesters and sold them for ~4.5K CR profits.

You almost need another small monitor to look up websites for it on.

...Honestly, I'd recommend that.

Gonna check missions and cargo; @Ackerman Market.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

...Well, I'm off to buy Basic Medicines and sell them for a very high profit.

...I feel so ignoble.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote: ...I feel so ignoble.
:lol:

True story - I botched my first tourism mission so badly the passenger abused me and ejected. He literally fired himself into space rather than be on my ship. Was hard not to be a little insulted.