Improve Skyrim SE Magic Experience

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
l3lessed

Improve Skyrim SE Magic Experience

Post by l3lessed »

Hey, I've been really getting back into Skyrim SE and modding Skyrim with the new engine. One thing that always bugged me about magic in Skyrim was it's simplicity, especially without a magic creation system like daggerfall.

Thankfully, we have some options to remedy this. The biggest one is Spell Research Mod, which adds a whole spell creation system that requires studying numerous items, ingredients, and written tomes and thesis scattered throughout Skyrim. From there, you gain knowledge in a plethora of differing magic elements, techniques, and other things used to finally craft/learn a spell.

The mods I recommend going with this are "Odin - Skyrim Magic Overhaul", "Cosmic spells", and his other magic mod "Apocalypse." This fine tunes and adds a tone of fixes, balances and new immersive, interactive spells, and being by the same developer, there is no need to worry about conflicts or crashes. There are a number of other magic overhauls, like Mysticism, out there, but they all seem unbalanced on full play through compared to these three.

Then add "Immersive College Entry Mod".. It will make it so entering the college is more immersive and requires a little more magic skill, so not any milk drinker with some spare coin and the ability to read can get in. However, understandably, if you can show you have the Voice, the mages will be interested in letting you in so they can study your Voice control.

Then add "Immersive College of Winterhold" to be able to learn directly from your choosen magic school master and tons of other immersive additions to the college.

Also, we need to add back Daggerfall style magic crafting, so once you become a master mage, you can start creating all your own spells. To do that grab "Skyrim Spell Crafting". Adds a whole cantrip learning system by using the spells you have acquired already and then allows you to create spells dynamically from all the affects you learn.

If you want a whole new level of realism and difficulty to becoming a mage grab the mod "Altered Spell Tomes", which makes spell tomes show you the composition of the spell for easier crafting/learning of it in spell research and removes the none immersive teaching it through eating the book method. This creates cool immersive experiences, where I can buy the spell texts to see what the spell is made of to create it, but I still have to gain more experience/knowledge and school specific skill before I can learn it and use it.

Finally, grab my patch so you can use Odin with both Spell Research and Altered Spells: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... mods/48588.

I'll be adding a cosmic spells package patch for altered tomes in next week to round it all out.

With all of these mods, becoming an grand master mage in Skyrim feels like a true trial for only the most invested magic users. No longer can any feeble Skyrim resident, who has some spare coin and can read a book, wander into one of the most prestigious magical schools in Tamerial. Be prepared to really invest in your magic skills and knowledge.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Teralitha

Re: Improve Skyrim SE Magic Experience

Post by Teralitha »

I think you posted this in the wrong forum.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Teralitha wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:06 pm I think you posted this in the wrong forum.
I think you got the wrong idea:

Community
Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

oh right. carry on then