Has a single bug, oversight or other problem ruined the game for you?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Seferoth

Has a single bug, oversight or other problem ruined the game for you?

Post by Seferoth »

This topic idea came in to mind due to how i feel about Oblivion these days. You see, one thing that has kept my interest in Oblivion is my and others ability to fix issues and pretty much anything that bothers you with mods, unofficial patches, etc. However, once i realized that every guard you kill(and LOOT) will respawn naked, yes if you kill a guard and loot him he will respawn without weapons or armors. Soon after this i realized that every weapon, shield or armor that NPC's wear(essential or guards) will/can break eventually and they are left without those items. These few things actually has stopped me playing Oblivion ever since, i cannot put this simple thing out of my mind when i try to play Oblivion and the immersion for me has been permanently ruined. No mod of any kind exist that would fix this either. Might sound silly how something like this can stop one from enjoying a game, but that's why i made this topic to discuss possibly weird things that stops you from enjoying a game.
Last edited by Seferoth on Sat May 08, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cliffworms

Re: Has a single bug, oversight or other problem ruined the game for you?

Post by Cliffworms »

Oh, yes. For me it would be Assassin's Creed 2 for PC.

I really enjoyed the game at first. After a long night of playing, I went to sleep. When, a day or so after, I loaded up the game, I noticed something wrong with my save file's picture and playing time.

It was the same as before my long session a day earlier.

Indeed, when I loaded up, nothing had been saved. Thus, the logo meaning my progress was save showed up but didn't save at all.

I uninstalled the game, and it wasn't until 5 or 6 years later that I retried it. I did end up enjoying the whole game, but each time there would be an autosave, I'd have doubts that it worked.

That would be it for me. :)
I can understand how a bug can bring great frustration leading to the point of not wanting to continue playing agame.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

last one was Ori and the will of the wisps. Man I LOVED the game. Praised it so high. Enjoyed every moment.
After many many many hours, I got to some (getting PTSD as I write it) goddamned sand ruin. The gate there was opened by the wisps I collected earlier thru the WHOLE game. Big deal! In the ruin, a sand worm attacked me and triggered the escape challenge. Goood, I loved these during the game. Problem with this one was, it was UNBEATABLE. Yes, I tried it like 100 times one day, 100 other day, almost destroyed my controller in anger.

WHY there is no save point there. The difficulty of the game spikes SO HARD at this point out of nowhere it completely effed my game, frustrated me beyond belief and for my own sanity I deleted the god damn game and I will never replay it and thus never finish it. Its even more frustrating because this was like 85% of the game... one last boss and u finish the game etc..

It might look simple when played by someone who mastered every move there, but try it on your own and.... one mistake, retry it all. And the mechanics to control the Ori when u drill thru the sand, or jump thru the bags..oh my god.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 pm It might look simple when played by someone who mastered every move there, but try it on your own and.... one mistake, retry it all.
This is why I never play this kind of games basically (except for a bit out of curiosity), because this seems to be their underlying design principle: you need to master such a level like you'd learn to play a music piece on a musical instrument. Maybe some people find it fun but this is not what I play games for, usually.

I'm not against trying over and over again if this results in learning a playing mechanic, or a boss's weakness, or something the player can improvise upon. But this kind of learning by repetition as shown above seems to mean that you learn, by trial and error, the one exactly right sequence of actions that you need to complete the entire level. Thanks, but I like it when games give me some freedom in what I do.

Back to the OP, I can tell you that Morrowind has a lot of stuff that breaks suspension of disbelief, and way harder than Daggerfall and Arena ever could. On my very first try (which ended too quickly, for how should I have known that one does not load expansions when starts the game for the first time?), the sight of Seyda Neen's inhabitants during an otherwise beautiful stormy, rainy night completely destroyed any believability as the good folks continued their aimless marching around in a weather that would force any realistic person to seek shelter as quickly as possible. It did not completely break the game for me but it certainly undermined my admittedly naive (as I wanted to play the game without spoilers) attempts at "serious" roleplaying (that is, trying to live out the world and character; I even tried to keep a mental diary in-character, reflecting (on) what was happening in the game - something that I had never really tried out before systematically).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Issue with the Ori is, its NOT this type of game, where u need to master anything. Its a very peaceful and chilled game! And when u reach 85% of completion, there is this 2 minute part which is insanely difficult. That makes the whole story. If it was this hard "learn every move" type of game from a start, than u know what you are getting yourself into. This was not the case :evil: Its just a difficulty spike out of nowhere, the devs effed this one up big time... one of the worse gaming experiences I had in a long time.... lost 20 hours gameplay and it destroyed whole experience and turned it sour in a way I never thought is even possible. Just writing about it makes my blood boil again... Im out :lol: