Arena and Gravis Ultrasound in DOSBox

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
MrFlibble

Arena and Gravis Ultrasound in DOSBox

Post by MrFlibble »

A while ago I realised that using Gravis Ultrasound emulation in DOSBox can produce superior sound quality, and since Arena supports GUS for sound and music, I set off to try it out.

The game is known to be very demanding of base memory, and a user in another forum reported that he had to drop GUS for SB because of frequent Insufficient Base Memory crashes.

I tried out several DOSBox builds and setups, and I believe to have achieved more or less stable performance with GUS using DOSBox ECE. I have a build from 29 January this year (r4426), and have not tested the game with newer builds, but I'd like to think they would work fine too.

I downloaded GUS patches/software from here and installed them in DOSBox with this guide. The Arena version I'm using is the freeware 1.06 floppy release from Bethesda.

The game ins installed into C:\ARENA directory on the mounted C: drive. I created the following batch file to start it from the root:

Code: Select all

config -set "cpu cycles=max 100%% limit 21000"
config -set cpu core=simple
config -set dos ems=emm386
LH C:\ARENA\ULTRAMID.EXE
cd ARENA
A -sa:240 -si:5 -sd:3 -ma:240 -mq:5 -md:3 -sgf1digi.adv -mgf1midi.adv
cd..
config -set dos ems=true
config -set cpu core=auto
config -set "cpu cycles=auto 7800 100%% limit 23880"
cls
A few notes on these settings:
  • cpu cycles=max 100%% limit 21000 will cap cycles at 21000 -- this seems like a good value to play on max detail settings, not too fast and not too slow
  • I tried out the possible CPU core values, and simple gives better performance than normal, while I did not like dynamic because it produced clicking noises with sound playback sometimes
  • I have no proof that emm386 emulation yields an improvement, but this seemed like a good choice and it appears to work fine. Note that he official DOSBox 0.74-3 release does not support this option
I also use a GLSL shader that imitates a CRT screen called crt-lottes-fast.subtle+gain.glsl which I got from here.