Other Elder Scrolls

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Biboran

Re: Other Elder Scrolls

Post by Biboran »

I find it quite silly when modders try to copy vanilla df lsyout with original game assets :lol:
It looks poorly and low quality for me

JustinS

Post by JustinS »

Saw some hate for Elder Scrolls Online in this thread so just gonna jump in and defend it cause it's my favorite game at the moment :)

I'll start by saying that I'm not a lore master so it's entirely possible there are some minor or major contradictions that I'm not aware of. That being said, I definitely wouldn't call it just a boring mmo.

I feel like they've captured the environments and atmosphere of tamriel extremely well. Especially the new Morrowind expansion, which is probably the most beautiful version of Vvardenfell I've seen.

ESO has fully voiced quests, including quests for the mages, fighters, and other guilds you see in the other TES games. It may not quite reach the depth of TES3 Morrowind, but if you turn off chat and just go questing it feels like a genuine elder scrolls game, not just a generic rpg. Aside from seeing some other players out and about.

There is a class system with 5 classes, but that doesn't mean there are only 5 ways to play. Most builds focus on stamina or Magicka, so for example on the sorcerer class alone you can have your traditional lightning/elemental mag sorc, a mag sorc summoner, or a stamina sorcerer who boosts dual-wield, 2h weapons, and/or bows with magic. As far as the holy Trinity roles go, almost any build can fill any role right up until the hardest end game trials (raids), and then most are still viable for the right role.

Combine this with the fact that there are several sets of gear you can use for each build with BiS often being debatable (especially with the latest patch) and a very deep crafting system with over 40 style motifs, and I never feel limited when it comes to character creation.

There are two PVP modes: the alliance war from the base game and battlegrounds that were added in Morrowind. Battlegrounds are short round-based games with 3 four man teams. Modes like team deathmatch or capture the flag. The alliance war is a faction based open world pvp mode where you capture and defend keeps across tamriel. Essentially PlanetSide 2 tamriel edition, if you've ever played that game.

I heard there were issues at launch that led to low critic reviews and a poor first impression. I wasn't playing at that time, but it seems like things really turned around after the one tamriel update, which allowed you to travel anywhere and group for pve with people from other alliances instead of being locked in your alliance zones while you leveled. The community is very active and anything but dying.

So yeah I can't recommend ESO enough. If anybody here plays or is interested shoot me a message and I'll add you in game or answer any other questions you might have about it. It would be cool to play with some of you guys who love TES enough to work on this project :)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

ESO compleatly broked lore. Insted af 2nd era, they make shitty copy of modern tamriel and also broke some basic things.
Vvardenfell looks 1-1 like it was in late 3rd era - with septim empire towns, and no lava rivers everywhere.
On continent they call innier plans near capital DESHAAN, all towns builded with modern indorin archetecture (on island for some reason all use hlaalu buildings and telvanni for some reason live in stone huts with some mushrooms from it.
Ayleid ruins on betony. No khajiit types. Etc etc. - ask every old lore pro - eso is bullshit that broke ALL and target audience of it is tes5 fans.

Also as game it meh - typical mmo that try to copy tes5 on swtor engine.

JustinS

Post by JustinS »

Biboran wrote:ESO compleatly broked lore
Like I said I'm not a lore master, that may be entirely true.
Biboran wrote:Also as game it meh - typical mmo that try to copy tes5 on swtor engine.
I strongly disagree, I find it extremely fun. But I understand no game is for everyone. To each their own!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

To be fair, every game's broke some parts of lore.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Narf the Mouse wrote:To be fair, every game's broke some parts of lore.
Yep. But some change it be more complex and interesting, eso make it absoluetly bland and boring - it now on tes1 level. And developers not care and not give any soul to their product

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Well, having never played ESO, I can't say for myself - But I do want to be fair. ;)

------------------

Last time, on *Oblivion ModList, shields and/or weapons (not sure) and at least one other mesh seem to have been replaced by yellow "No mesh found" meshes. So I downloaded and added Refscope, so I could see what they were, and which mod. Anyway, after that, I ran BOSS, built a Bashed Patch again, and...No missing meshes. *Shrug* ES modding, amIright?

Anyway, tune in next time on **Oblivion ModList, when I test to see if it's currently stable.

* Reveals entire plot of previous episode.
** Reveals entire plot of next episode.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Playing Oblivion with Oscuro's Overhaul. Looted a 260-gp cuirass... Sells for 13 gp at Rossan's in the IC.

Are prices meant to be that horrible with OOO, or should I disable Enhanced Economy?

Edit: Prices are store-based; could get 38/260 at Vernardo's.

...Well, ok.

Edit2: And I'm tired, because that's exactly the way it should work.

Deathcrush

Post by Deathcrush »

Narf the Mouse wrote:Totally my opinion coming up. Also, I tend to sound more definite than I am. This is enthusiasm, if anyone's wondering. :)

I think Oblivion gets an unfairly bad rap. The series has gotten casualized... But when I first played Morrowind, I was disappointed by the lack of character "special power" customization. "What was this birthsign thing, and it sucked!" I was disappointed by the lack of climbing, by the tiny dungeons, and that the spellmaker could only make spells based on effects you already knew, despite the fact that they were the one making spells, broke my immersion.

But it had a weird and creative setting, interesting stories, neat powers to acquire, could still roam everywhere, and levitate softened the lack of climbing. And I learned to enjoy it, and grew to love the setting.

And yeah. My first and long-lasting impression of Oblivion was "they made everything bland and generic! You're fighting an invasion of demons in Generica!"

And to an extent, you are; it is generic. By that scale, it sucks compared to Morrowind. So eventually, I stopped comparing it to Morrowind.

Because Daggerfall was the best Elder Scrolls game... And it's got plenty of generic-looking places. And I ended up enjoying Oblivion for what it was: A well-done fantasyland, with hidden depths and its own weirdness; with combat where you can almost feel the impact of each blow, and manoeuvre, tactics, and strategy are visceral and in-the-moment. Oblivion has been casualized, to an extent...But being cornered by two Dremora Churls at level 5, nearly dying in the process, and then cornering them and beating them down, having one of them run, doesn't feel casual.

Taking out levitate, and making almost every dungeon double back on itself, even Oblivion Gates (especially Oblivion Gates)...Yeah, casual. But at the same time, not, because it allow the designers to set up puzzles and traps that they couldn't have if you could just saunter (literally) over them. Those Oblivion Gates would be a lot easier if I could just fly up to the top of the Sigil Tower, kill the Daedra inside, and then grab the Sigil Stone. And a lot more boring.

I also like the lockpicking game; it feels like lockpicking; or what I suppose lockpicking would feel like. The persuasion game... Not all that bad. Joke, boast about yourself (but in a clever way); even taunts and threats can be friendly between buddies.

But yeah. Losing medium armour sucks. Losing the ability to enchant your own items sucks - but your odds were generally really low in Morrowind. And finding out you needed soul gems now to enchant in Morrowind? That was a "bleh" moment.

tl;dr - All the games have good points (and things they maybe could have done better) :)
Oblivion to me was a solid game. I think it's a good point to say the game was casualized because it was, but despite that combat and spellcasting still felt very fluid. Not to mention if anyone is heavily modding their Oblivion, Obscuros Overhaul and many of the cosmetic change mods (Character Overhaul for example) will make the game feel brand new and look amazing. Another thing worth mentioning is how fantastic Shivering Isles was. The lush landscapes of that expansion paired with the music was really something.
"Excuse the gloom, but none may know of this meeting."

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Deathcrush wrote:Oblivion to me was a solid game. I think it's a good point to say the game was casualized because it was, but despite that combat and spellcasting still felt very fluid. Not to mention if anyone is heavily modding their Oblivion, Obscuros Overhaul and many of the cosmetic change mods (Character Overhaul for example) will make the game feel brand new and look amazing. Another thing worth mentioning is how fantastic Shivering Isles was. The lush landscapes of that expansion paired with the music was really something.
I could, and have, happily played the base game + unofficial patches + realistic levelling. A very few more mods can expand the game a lot, without hitting your load order. Basic Primary Needs is adding an entire extra dimension to my current play-though. Persuasion Overhaul allows you to replace the minigame with dialogue options. Liking Enhanced Economy so far; the shops feel more like real places when Rinder only pays for staffs (or is it staves?)

However, currently playing with 190+ mods, including FCOM+MMM+MOO+OOO+WarCry. My load order can't handle adding Oblivion Reloaded, though. Might just get OBGEv3. Heh.

Only found one mod for mercenaries, though, and two for pack animals; and I decided not to use either.

The Mercenaries mod allows you to hire mercenaries from just about any faction, including the *Imperial Army; and the mercenaries are +4 to +12 levels above you (good if you're playing an archaeologist; not so good if you just want some reasonably-priced help).

The two pack animal mods add seven unique pack animals to the Chorrol stables, which is...Quite a bit more specific than what I'm looking for, which is generic pack animals, and not just at one city.

* I get that the empire is in decline, but... :lol: