Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
pango

Re: Re Twitter

Post by pango »

Mmmh random encounters seem to spawn inside buildings (and more importantly, during my beauty sleep :wink:) just fine!
Can quest system specify that it should only happen in town streets?
Lysandus' ghosts and wraiths only spawn in DaggerfallCity1, but this is very specific...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Dark dungeons + VR... Spoooky. :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, I can make it only happen on the streets. I'm using the "send foe" command which I mistakenly assumed only spawns enemies outdoors. I'll create a new version when I get a chance.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I've noticed in Interkarma's recent Twitter posts talk about how brutal poisons and diseases in DF are (and that can be true). But if DF Unity will mirror classic in its implementation of custom character advantages and disadvantages, it's trivial to any player "in the know" to make an uber character - with a below average leveling speed disadvantage bar to boot - who won't ever need to worry about these issues. This is done by exploiting what I and many others consider a bug in classic DF by which Magic immunity also grants immunity to Disease, Paralysis, and Poison - thus allowing you to take critical weaknesses to the three latter damage types and still maintain full immunity. E.g.:

DISADVANTAGES
Disease: Critical Weakness
Paralysis: Critical Weakness
Poison: Critical Weakness
Forbidden Materials: Steel, Silver, Elven, Dwarven (etc. - take your pick here to further lower the leveling speed disadvantage bar with a relatively small gameplay impact)

ADVANTAGES
Magic: Immune
Fire: Immune
Frost: Immune
Shock: Immune
Spell Point Multipler: 3x
Hit Points Per Level: 20 (not technically an "advantage", but it's a great boost that still keeps your leveling speed disadvantage bar low with the above setup)

Will these shenanigans be possible in DF Unity as well?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The mission is to keep these core mechanical effects as close to classic as possible. I agree these seem exploitable through modern eyes, but it's also part of what makes Daggerfall into the game it is. With some insider knowledge, players are free to create characters that are either horribly broken or completely overpowered. I couldn't remove this without an equally justified response from those wanting it kept in the game.

I personally view advantages/disadvantages as detailed difficulty settings. Players who want a lower difficulty can build their character one way, and players who want a challenge can build their character another way. It's all about agency and freedom to play in whatever manner supports our own paracosm within the game world.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sorry pango, looks like I overestimated myself this time. I won't be able to limit it to streets only. To compensate, I could drastically reduce the spawn rate, or also reduce the spawn hours (like only from 11 PM to 2 AM for example). Let me know if either of those options is acceptable.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the feedback, Interkarma, and I understand that's consistent with the fundamental goal of DF Unity. I also admit I may have been one of those players who always relied on this "exploit", and regretted nothing. I don't doubt folks will come up with mods down the road that adjust these values regardless.

And of course, a big thank you and congrats to you and all the other DF Unity developers for the continued incredible progress! The massive amount of work you've devoted to making this a reality over the years is really paying off, and deserves respect. Cheers.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Mike. :)

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Interkarma, on Twitter you wrote about poisons:
So by the time you realise you're poisoned you might be sleeping or fast travelling - pretty much a death sentence. It's very easy to find yourself trapped with no way to fix it.
I think that just as with diseases, classic tells you if you have a poison and try to fast travel, even if it it's still in the delay part (status window still says you are "healthy"). So I don't think it's possible to fast travel with a poison or disease and not get a warning popup.

pango

Post by pango »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:53 am Sorry pango, looks like I overestimated myself this time. I won't be able to limit it to streets only. To compensate, I could drastically reduce the spawn rate, or also reduce the spawn hours (like only from 11 PM to 2 AM for example).
No biggie, delving into questing capabilities is fun, but I wasn't really asking for that feature, just pinpointing some differences between Daggerfall and Arena.
I wonder what happened before though, when I upset the Dark Brotherhood for returning a child to his parents and got attacked by assassins, because until the final nightblade, nobody spawned inside the tavern. Was it pure luck, or does the quest (Q0C00Y03) use some trick, I don't know.
Also, I've been surprised by how often I got interrupted by the nightspawn quest, I barely managed to sleep by 2 hours increments. I didn't find the correct way to compute the expected time between attacks (something similar to MTBF?), but on second thought, if you have 9.6% chance to be attacked every half hour and 5.6% chance of being attacked each quarter in between, it may not be so surprising...
Regards,
Pierre.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart