Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
BansheeXYZ

Re: Re Twitter

Post by BansheeXYZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am

Jay_H wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:18 am
Darn. So down the drain goes the "enemy charmer" build, controlling an imp or skeletal warrior and bulldozing parts of the dungeon :lol: At least that's what "charm" means to me. Well, perhaps it's for a mod.
Yes, charm in the modern RPG sense usually means mind control. Dfall never had a spell like that. I think oblivion does, but they call it "Command Creature".

For all my love of Daggerfall, I've never played another ES game. But I just looked at spell effect lists for Morrowind and Oblivion. Lots of carryover from dfall, including Charm. Which does as described: raises reputation with npc.

It also looks like "humanoid" includes humans in ES terminology (which is not the case in D&D or the wikipedia definition). So that explains why there is only Pacify/Calm Humanoid in ES games. Mystery solved.

Both in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeNRHh1ROjY

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 pm

BansheeXYZ wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am
It also looks like "humanoid" includes humans in ES terminology (which is not the case in D&D...)
Then you're playing one of the *inferior* versions. :P :)

Behold: The definitive guide to what a creature is: What does the Ranger call it when they kill it? (scroll down to the favoured enemies table)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:09 am

Oops. To clarify, the inclusive term started in the 3rd edition of D&D which debuted in 2000. Prior to that, humans were separate from humanoid. Daggerfall came out in 1996.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 am

BansheeXYZ wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:09 am
Oops. To clarify, the inclusive term started in the 3rd edition of D&D which debuted in 2000. Prior to that, humans were separate from humanoid. Daggerfall came out in 1996.
Nah, I was just pretending to be an edition snob. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.