Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Arl

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Arl »

BansheeXYZ wrote:I disagree with the people who say "we need vanilla options" for profound mechanical problems. We don't need to steal away the cursor from mouse-look to click on a button. It was a ridiculous design choice.

I didn't even used the mouse look that much, I would also dare to say I like Daggerfall with mouse gesture gameplay more, it's how I played that game and how I would like to play it again, for me it was a part of the game's charm.
BansheeXYZ wrote:Seriously, what next, are we going to have options to fall into the void?

Hahaha, good one.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

BansheeXYZ wrote:I disagree with the people who say "we need vanilla options" for profound mechanical problems. We don't need to steal away the cursor from mouse-look to click on a button. It was a ridiculous design choice. Seriously, what next, are we going to have options to fall into the void? If you want to keep the HUD as a hotkey reference by simply overlaying an "S" onto the steal graphic (for example), then that's fine. But this isn't DOSBox, it's a modern engine of Daggerfall.

I like the idea of making click-and-hold "look" at things.

I've also made a suggestion in the past to get rid of the locking the viewpoint on weapon swing animations. Please look into that, it would make swinging/firing while strafing a million times better. This is also, of course, how modern first person games behave.
What I'm aiming for is classic gameplay with light quality of life enhancements. I'm trying not to change too many things that are fundamentally Daggerfall. Sometimes I listen and create an option, other times I just do what I believe is best. For example, I don't have options to turn off scrollbars or mouse wheel support in UIs (and yes people have requested that) but I do have options to turn off tooltips. It's all a matter of degree.

Simple dabs of grease on things like quality text take a few minutes and have no great impact. Likewise, using fullscreen and mouse-look by default is an obvious choice, these were even options in the original game. But totally overhauling weapon mechanics to give player more freedom of movement is a huge job that fundamentally changes the nature of Daggerfall's combat right down to enemy speed, AI behaviours, and damage mitigation. These are not equal propositions for a toggle.

For what it's worth, I would also enjoy a modernised weapon setup. But this change more properly belongs in a mod or total modernisation fork of the project. It's not something I'm planning to implement at this time, I'm sorry.

On a related subject, I've been playing a lot of VR games lately. It's uncanny how much Daggerfall's combat feels like a roomscale VR game someone demade for 1996. :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

BansheeXYZ wrote:Seriously, what next, are we going to have options to fall into the void?
Hey, some of us lived the Void Ranger life! Squeezing in and out of existence and levitating around the exposed shell of reality to locate a target was an unexpected gameplay outcome from that bug. It even sort-of fit that powerful mages could do something like that.

When spells are in, it would be fun if someone made a combination levitate+noclip spell to bring back Void Ranging as an easter egg. :)

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

We could have a spell that allows you to walk through walls. It could black out your entire screen except for glowing lines to show the hallways and red dots for enemies. Spell ends once you re-enter a hallway or its duration runs out.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma (Twitter) wrote:Fatigue is (STR+END)*64.
Uh... "+64"? ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Jay_H wrote:1. The main goal of his work is to resurrect Daggerfall and make it moddable. Any GUI upgrades he makes will be conveniences but unrelated to his real purpose.
2. As noted above, there is some subset of people who use the old interface to play Daggerfall, be it out of old habit or nostalgia. Even if it isn't the default, leaving the option in for them would certainly be a good idea.
Which is great. I'm merely trying to point out that purists can already enjoy vanilla's problems via DOSBox. It's redundant here and could end up just complicating the job and gui.

I think it's fairly easy to distinguish between things that are obvious problems (view distance, resolution, mouse mechanics, bugs) and preferential fluff (artwork, music, script, quests, weapon variety, monster behavior). I'm not advocating forcing modded art upon people.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote:
Uh... "+64"? ;)
Internally it's (STR+END)*64. What you see on the character sheet is STR+END and the *64 value is used internally for fatigue decay calculations. Source is page 48 of DF Chronicles.

Don't worry, I had to question it as well when Allofich implemented. I'd missed that detail because I wasn't that focused on fatigue yet. He's done a great job with all this.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:
Narf the Mouse wrote:
Uh... "+64"? ;)
Internally it's (STR+END)*64. What you see on the character sheet is STR+END and the *64 value is used internally for fatigue decay calculations. Source is page 48 of DF Chronicles.

Don't worry, I had to question it as well when Allofich implemented. I'd missed that detail because I wasn't that focused on fatigue yet. He's done a great job with all this.
...And it fits in a short int, too.

Fixed-point math has a number of advantages over floating-point math, including absolute stability - It won't necessarily (probably won't) add 0.995 + 0.05 correctly, but it'll give you the same answer every time.

With modern CPUs, it isn't any faster, though, based on the last time I tested it. FPUs used to be quite a bit slower...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, that would be the legacy behind it. DF has a lot of fixed point stuff internally. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

And then there's "Oh, cool! It looks a lot better now!"

...After adding lights and explosions to a testbed, taking all of half an hour at most.