Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Jay_H

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:10 hours ago More Think about this for a second. There's only two MAJOR system groups remaining: quests and spells. And questing is around half way done now. Still lots to do of course, but much of the future work plugs into what's been done. Shops use loot setup, guilds use quests, etc. I can't quite see light at the end of the tunnel yet, but I can feel that moment approaching. Quite a relief.
See, this is what I mean. Quests and spells are Daggerfall in my estimation. I have no idea what work spells will require, but everything after them sounds like a big downhill coast. We'll have to work on combat, prices, and skills, but that kind of refinement will be a lot more crowdsourced than the current stage.

Here's to a very pleasant denouement in the mid-term future :)
Last edited by Jay_H on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's true - one of the reasons I'm starting to feel positive is that so much of the rounding out can be pushed along by the greater community. It's already happening, in fact. I may be steering the course for a while longer but this project belongs to all of us now.

I'm going to push like mad on the quest system for a while. I was originally planning to roll things out in smaller pieces, but the pace right now feels really good and I want to keep riding that momentum for a bit.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I've been continuing to check the Twitter updates and the forums here about once a week, and am amazed with the recent tangible progress on the quest and other systems - as always, fantastic work, and keep that momentum going! :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:A few people have asked about new builds. I will be updating them soon, I'm just running with my momentum on quest systems for now.
I don't mean to be adversarial to other posters, but please keep going while the motivation's high! I'm supposing new builds can be made in some period of downtime.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

There seems to be a dividing line between:

Coding tired late at night, when the ideas are flowing and your fingers are typing and you have no idea where half this code came from, and waking up the next morning and wondering what you wrote and how?

...and...

Coding tired late at night, and you don't want to go to sleep, and you just keep typing, and you have only half an idea what you're doing, and waking up the next morning and wondering what you wrote and how?

:lol:
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf, that last part is so true. :) I generally stop when I feel the fatigue kick in, but I was on such a great roll I wanted to push just one more hour. Unfortunately paid for it by feeling exhausted the next day at work, and then again when I came home and had to find the error made the night before. "Just one more hour" probably cost me three throughout the following day in focus. Not a good trade.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Narf, that last part is so true. :) I generally stop when I feel the fatigue kick in, but I was on such a great roll I wanted to push just one more hour. Unfortunately paid for it by feeling exhausted the next day at work, and then again when I came home and had to find the error made the night before. "Just one more hour" probably cost me three throughout the following day in focus. Not a good trade.
Yeah...Important part of programming is not overworking yourself. :)

Or anything, really.

I had trouble with that - Still do, to an extent. But it's really not worth it, in the long run. The odd very short run, sure, but otherwise...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

...Got a bit of an idea for a quest from the post about courier messages: Getting someone elses' message.

...Yeah, just a bit of an idea. :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Well, the streets of Daggerfall are no longer safe at night. Also VENGEANCE!
ghost-spawn.jpg
ghost-spawn.jpg (163.86 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
Edit: If you want to try this out from current code, pull the latest master and use console command "startquest s0000977" in Daggerfall city at night. Ghosts and wraiths are spawned every 21/31 game minutes respectively (about 1.75-2.50 real minutes) with a 50% chance of success. Just hang around and they'll show up sooner or later.

World spawning is very hacked-in at the moment. I was more interested in the timer and quest execution side of things. I'll clean all this up as quest Foes become properly implemented.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Awesome, I'll try it asap.
Interkarma wrote: World spawning is very hacked-in at the moment. I was more interested in the timer and quest execution side of things. I'll clean all this up as quest Foes become properly implemented.
If you remember Lypyl wrote an enemy spawner back in 2015, maybe it can still be of help.