Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Interkarma

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Interkarma »

Sure. :) I'll try to squeeze in the "exterior" flag for random town exterior types before release (right now it only works with dungeon types).

One thing to keep in mind is that exteriors don't have quest markers - so you can't use "place item", "place foe", or "place npc" for exteriors. That still leaves a lot of gameplay on the table however.

I wrote a custom quest using this mechanic, compatible only with Daggerfall Unity. You can view the quest source here. It's in the rotation of quests in the upcoming "Fighters" update.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

I love that screenshot, skeletons in the cemetery.
It's cracking open a lot of potential.
Great work.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I normally try not to suggest gameplay additions to not swamp you with more work, but I figured this would be trivial based on your implementing dungeon exteriors. The only thing remaining would be witch coven exteriors I guess, and I don't want to ask any more than I have.

And I'm just going to say... the quest script language is COMPLETELY AWESOME!! Even I can write quests now!!! In Notepad!!! :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Done! :)

I've removed the "exterior" flag and added location exterior types to Quests-Places table. So you can send player to pretty much any exterior location like so:

Code: Select all

Place _graveyard_ remote ancientgraveyard
Place _religion_ remote cult
Place _home_ remote wealthyhome
Place _village_ remote village
jman0war wrote:I love that screenshot, skeletons in the cemetery.
It's cracking open a lot of potential.
Great work.
Jay_H wrote: And I'm just going to say... the quest script language is COMPLETELY AWESOME!! Even I can write quests now!!! In Notepad!!! :D
Thank you guys. :) I'm loving it too, had a lot of fun writing that necromancer quest.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:
Interkarma wrote:From a suggestion yesterday, "Place" resource can now send player to a remote dungeon exterior - e.g. fight skeletons in graveyards.Image
THIS IS AWESOME!!! Could the same feature possibly get implemented in town and shrine exteriors? I'm thinking of a noble giving you a quest to guard a rural home at night. Burglars and Thieves could spawn during that time period.
The idea of an ongoing quest that occasionally spawns undead in the local graveyard has been bouncing around my head since I saw that picture. :)

Something of an ambience thing like "VENGEANCE!"
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I have this thought of "Daggerfall: Hard Mode," with one of its aspects being enemies infrequently appearing at rural homes, distant temples (but not shrines), and so on. It'd probably just be a Brisienna quest which starts after character gen and never ends.

Then disabling guards in those locations would be another detail...

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:I have this thought of "Daggerfall: Hard Mode," with one of its aspects being enemies infrequently appearing at rural homes, distant temples (but not shrines), and so on. It'd probably just be a Brisienna quest which starts after character gen and never ends.

Then disabling guards in those locations would be another detail...
Faction fights in locations would be really cool, but are rather impractical at this point.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Cooperative and dissonant AI are things I always felt Daggerfall majorly lacked. Charming, summoning, and rival factions would be such awesome additions.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Jay_H wrote:Cooperative and dissonant AI are things I always felt Daggerfall majorly lacked. Charming, summoning, and rival factions would be such awesome additions.
it reminds me of this video (some artifacts show that even vanilla df could have ai vs ai...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exj1xrX_vtU&t=17s

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, the capability was there, it was just massively underused. More fun to be had :)