Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
BansheeXYZ

Re: Re Twitter

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:18 amDarn. So down the drain goes the "enemy charmer" build, controlling an imp or skeletal warrior and bulldozing parts of the dungeon :lol: At least that's what "charm" means to me. Well, perhaps it's for a mod.
Yes, charm in the modern RPG sense usually means mind control. Dfall never had a spell like that. I think oblivion does, but they call it "Command Creature".

For all my love of Daggerfall, I've never played another ES game. But I just looked at spell effect lists for Morrowind and Oblivion. Lots of carryover from dfall, including Charm. Which does as described: raises reputation with npc.

It also looks like "humanoid" includes humans in ES terminology (which is not the case in D&D or the wikipedia definition). So that explains why there is only Pacify/Calm Humanoid in ES games. Mystery solved.

Both in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeNRHh1ROjY

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am It also looks like "humanoid" includes humans in ES terminology (which is not the case in D&D...)
Then you're playing one of the *inferior* versions. :P :)

Behold: The definitive guide to what a creature is: What does the Ranger call it when they kill it? (scroll down to the favoured enemies table)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Oops. To clarify, the inclusive term started in the 3rd edition of D&D which debuted in 2000. Prior to that, humans were separate from humanoid. Daggerfall came out in 1996.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:09 am Oops. To clarify, the inclusive term started in the 3rd edition of D&D which debuted in 2000. Prior to that, humans were separate from humanoid. Daggerfall came out in 1996.
Nah, I was just pretending to be an edition snob. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I'm interested to hear more about the "Create Item" spell implementation. I do know that it behaved strangely in classic: the item didn't expire after the countdown as described. It looks like recasting during a countdown is intended to reset the countdown of the currently created item, since it doesn't invoke the selector window.

It's highly unusual that the game lets you drop or sell a created item. Reason being, it would be odd to have a loot pile disappear, or to be able to make gold out of thin air by scamming shopkeepers endlessly. Morrowind's version of the spell is called "Bound Item" and made it so the item cannot leave your possession. As such, I'm leaning towards this being an oversight in DF.

It's too bad classic didn't have transparency, because that seems like an obvious thing to apply to created items to differentiate them from real ones.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Those are some good ideas around "Create Item". I'd like to make them bound so summoned items can't be dropped or sold in DFU. I was thinking about this just the other day, and agree that's probably an oversight. For now it's pretty much just vanilla with the exception of item expiring one duration is complete. I'd like to return to this later.

We could use transparency in DFU or perhaps a different background colour to indicate summoned items. Maybe append (summoned) or (bound) to tooltip as reinforcement.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

An idea, although perhaps better for a mod: Allow summoned items to be sold, but once the duration runs out, your character has a charge of theft to the gold piece value of the item.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

How can you see editor markers here? VMblast gave me a building model where a door in a custom position transition to the attic. I think is because the rest marker is nearest than the enter one and wanted to check.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

In the StartGameBehaviour Inspector, there's a checkbox to show editor flats. Tick this before starting game and they'll become visible.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I just showed off a new Vanity Clone spell on Twitter that makes a clone of your paperdoll to admire and take selfies with.

vc1.jpg
vc1.jpg (425 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
vc2.jpg
vc2.jpg (464.94 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
vc3.jpg
vc3.jpg (419.86 KiB) Viewed 4021 times

I was curious what happened if you cast it under a full moon, and I really don't recommend it. It was horrifying!