Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Al-Khwarizmi

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

This is just raving, but would it be possible at all to have an underground city inside a dungeon? Now that I saw that Cthulhuesque 64-block dungeon on Twitter, I can envision an Ultima Underworld-like game taking place entirely inside one dungeon, but with all the features of Daggerfall Unity. Although I suppose that's hard.

A single-city + single-dungeon game (in the style of some roguelikes) could also be cool.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

A Roguelike could be done now, with modification to the code. Generate the dungeon block the player is on, then generate all surrounding dungeon blocks. Only pick "full" dungeon blocks, not "connecting" dungeon blocks.

That still leaves random underground cities, which would be a whole entire feature.

As for size of the dungeon, I suppose I don't want smaller dungeons; I want dungeons that make more sense. "What do they eat?" sort of questions.

[youtube]wvwlt4FqmS0[/youtube]

Edit: I forgot how to Youtube embed on here.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

And if you just love playing fan-made quests, check out Jay_H's Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1. This currently has a total of 37 new quests exclusively for #DaggerfallUnity.
The guild quest count is now 62 :) And the commoner + noble quests add 14 to that.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Amazing work on those quests Jay! Incredible how you're progressing on these. I've barely played a fraction of them, I wish I had more time just to play this thing for fun.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Part of the work in offering spells for sale at Mages Guild is mapping classic spell data into Daggerfall Unity's magic & effects system.
SPELLS.STD includes some spells that aren't offered in classic. Will those stay non-existent until some modder brings them in?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Correct, they will remain unavailable as they have no matching effect to implement them. The gist is that each effect is referenced by a number (the key) which must correspond to a classic effect key implemented in Daggerfall Unity. If there is no matching key, the spell is not made available for sale. For now, this also includes about 40% of effects still waiting to be implemented.

When I open magic effects to mod system, it will be possible for a modder to script these cut effects and spell will automatically be presented for sale and its effect through the spellmaker (and other magic crafting stations if allowed by effect).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

We are seriously close to wrapping up 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 milestones in one fell swoop!
I'll be glad when spells are over. It's felt/looked like quite a hill to go over -- though, precisely as you said here, DFU's not going to be far from beta when that happens :D

I'm sure happy you decided to do quests first. Look at everything we've been able to accomplish in the mean time! :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm glad quests came first as well. It feels like I've been stuck in magic forever now, but its only been about 6 months. By comparison quests needed closer to 18 months. That was not a fun time. :(

And you're right, the sheer amount of other work completed in 2018 is just crazy, and it's all thanks to people other than myself. I never really thought I'd get this much help or interest. Everyone in this community is amazing.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yes, looking forward to those pesky 40% of spell effects coming online! :D Satisfying to see all that green in the roadmap, and how much more will be implemented once the spell effects are finished. Thanks to interkarma and all other core developers for their continued hard work!

FilthyCasual523

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

I'm amazed at how far this project has come already! Usually with a big project like this, it dies before it can even really get out of the starting gate but praise Arkay, you guys have gotten farther than anyone ever thought possible. :) Kudos to your dedication, friends.