GemRB, Infinity Engine (Bioware) open-source replacement

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Jay_H

GemRB, Infinity Engine (Bioware) open-source replacement

Post by Jay_H »

So many talented people coming to DFU in such a short period of time has really been amazing. There are other projects that have tried so hard and struggled for decades just to get into the air. One example is GemRB, an open-source engine for the Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale / Planescape Torment games. It has active development, tons of great features, and the capability to create your own BG/IWD worlds. That, to me, is exciting.

Of course they can use more contributors of any kind, but their real shortcoming is artists. Since they need to develop art from scratch, they're counting on people to create art similar to the Infinity Engine assets without re-using the original assets. If you're an artist (or other kind of contributor) and want to help the project along, take a look at their page: http://gemrb.org/New-game.html.

MrFlibble

Re: GemRB, Infinity Engine (Bioware) open-source replacement

Post by MrFlibble »

I suppose the developers have considered using free resources from projects like FLARE or FreeDroidRPG, at least as placeholders?

It is my understanding that a project can gather more followers and eventually contributors when there's already a playable version available, so using placeholders makes sense, even if this increases visual similarity to other game(s).

Jay_H

Re: GemRB, Infinity Engine (Bioware) open-source replacement

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, they include a few suggested links like Open Game Art to get people started. I really expected a more advanced demo from them to show off the capabilities, but I hope that'll be forthcoming. (The fact that the engine already fully supports BG1&2 says it should handle an alternate game that someone else plugs in, I assume.)