Shameless plug? Our album is released!

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
ByteMixer

Shameless plug? Our album is released!

Post by ByteMixer »

Hey folks, I didn't announce anything about the live stream show we put on because I wasn't sure it was appropriate to post here even though this section of the forum is a bit of a catch all.

However, I do want to announce that the band I'm in, Blackjack Rose has officially released our new (and first) album! We decided to release on Bandcamp. So, it's up, you can check it out and all that good stuff. Since it's easy enough to search for, I don't want to be so shameless as to post the direct links to the album/artist page. Some places REALLY frown on that, and some don't see it as such a big deal. Still I figure I'll play it safe, given I don't want to tarnish my reputation too horribly much!

Furthermore, the archived stream from the live show is still viewable. We did a multicast to Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook using Restream.io. We played some select songs from the album, then we were going to open up to Q&A Ask Me Anything....but nobody was really chatting much, so we decided to call it early. On Twitch, I highlighted the music portion of the show, so that should remain.

I'll also adjust the audio a tad and put the video up on my YouTube page at a later date.

It's not very polished, and there were some annoying tech issues. I'll get it all sorted and the next time we do this should be a much MUCH smoother experience all around. Even though I planned a lot for this, it was still my first real implementation of automatic camera switching and using multiple video sources for a stream. The main issue is that one of the cameras our drummer bought, a Zoom Q2n 4K ended up freezing up for some unknown reason. Either the camera itself, or the cable, or the signal down the cable was getting interrupted. It was working absolutely fine a couple hours before the show, so I had hope. But for whatever reason, as soon as everyone came in, it just kept freezing up. So, I decided to remove the video source from the auto-switch rotation.

What was SUPPOSED to happen by doing that is that it would avoid the frozen video source, and just go the the close-up cam I had on our singer instead. Well.... it still went to the frozen camera, and didn't engage the camera we had on our singer. At all. I didn't know until we had already started performing, so there's nothing I could do about it. Still, the overall sound quality was pretty decent, and I'm happy for that. I was using 9 channels on the Soundcraft mixer going into OBS. I used Reaper to do a pre-mix of the sound, then copied the settings over to OBS.

Anyway, it was all a good learning experience for me!

Here are links to the archived videos of the stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1189941597

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id8Eo50Yyb8

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBot/video ... 370003645/
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Re: Shameless plug? Our album is released!

Post by King of Worms »

Congrats on the release. Saw the utube stream, u are having fun and thats what matters 😂

ByteMixer

Re: Shameless plug? Our album is released!

Post by ByteMixer »

Thanks for taking a look! Despite the tech issues, we had a good time, and the people who managed to catch the stream also applauded the sound quality. I'm glad that we as a band had good energy for the songs. Sometimes musicians struggle really bringing their best energy without live audience to help elevate their energy levels. E.g. recording sessions and live streaming.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman