Hello Everyone!

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Ziune Wolf

Hello Everyone!

Post by Ziune Wolf »

Hey everyone! I've been looking into Daggerfall Unity for awhile now and just yesterday decided to join the forums! The work on the game looks good so far. I haven't tried it personally myself yet, but will do so soon.

I don't remember when I first delved into classic Daggerfall, but I remember that as soon as I did, I fell in love with it. I wasn't a part of the generation to play it when it was first released back in 1996, but I did take notice when Bethesda released Daggerfall for free back in 2009. That free version (as well as adaptations, like Daggerfall Setup) is what I have experience with. I'm glad I played it.

I'm honestly not much of a coder, but I do have ideas. I am going to try to post a few mod suggestions over the next few days. Not to overwhelm everyone, but to give people ideas for things they may be able to add as modifications when and if they find it feasible.

Thanks everyone for working hard on this project. I know when this gets finished, I'll be super excited to play this alongside friends and family. :)

Interkarma

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Tealy Wolf, welcome to the forums. :)

I look forward to seeing your mod ideas in the community workshop forums. The only thing I might suggest is don't be afraid to try and make some of those ideas a reality yourself. Even if you don't feel up to the task now, and even if you don't succeed at first, the very act of trying is incredibly satisfying. Starting small and building up skills to make your own ideas tangible is very empowering.

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

I might just have to give it a shot sometime then. Do you have any links that would be helpful for people learning to add to Daggerfall Unity for the first time? As a part of the core or a part of a mod?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

A good place to start is with the Daggerfall Tools for Unity (DFTFU) tutorials. I still need to update some of these - DFTFU has been a bit neglected as a standalone product since Daggerfall Unity has taken hold. But the fundamentals haven't changed much. This can help you get a grounding with importing Daggerfall content into Unity. Some of the Unity tutorials on the web are great for general Unity knowledge as well.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... tutorials/

From there, you can do asset swaps using tools from TheLacus. He outlines how to do this on the following pages.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... y/modding/

And to bring everything together (art, code, etc.) you can use the mod framework by Lypyl and TheLacus to create distributable mod packages for others to download. All of the larger mods (Enhanced Sky, Distant Terrain, etc.) use this system. You can find a "Hello World" styled tutorial in this forum thread.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=277

If you want to write quests, check out Tipton's great documentation on his scripting language. Daggerfall Unity compiles this script language directly and you can write whole new quests with nothing more than Notepad.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... -docs.html

Finally, it helps if you can pick up some C# to write scripts. This allows for almost anything to be possible with enough work.

The guys in the mod forums are very helpful and seem to help most people overcome the early learning side of things. Good luck! :)

Deathcrush

Post by Deathcrush »

Welcome, Tealy.
"Excuse the gloom, but none may know of this meeting."

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hello.

Seems we've got this quest in from some landowner, about some giants munching on his sheep. And the local villagers, but he didn't seem too concerned about that. You up for a round of giant-killing? It'll mean 120 gold pieces in your pocket.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)
Narf the Mouse wrote:Hello.

Seems we've got this quest in from some landowner, about some giants munching on his sheep. And the local villagers, but he didn't seem too concerned about that. You up for a round of giant-killing? It'll mean 120 gold pieces in your pocket.
My name is Jayastyr Hawkwing. We usually don't do charity work around here, but a widow's been begging us to clean out a giant scorpion infestation in her property, The Ruins of Bedastyr's Hold. If you get it done within 17 days, I'm willing to put in a good word with the guildmaster for you. What do you say?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:Welcome to the forums! :)
Narf the Mouse wrote:Hello.

My name is Jayastyr Hawkwing. We usually don't do charity work around here, but a widow's been begging us to clean out a giant scorpion infestation in her property, The Ruins of Bedastyr's Hold. If you get it done within 17 days, I'm willing to put in a good word with the guildmaster for you. What do you say?
I like this :lol:

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

You guys all seem like a lot of fun. Makes me happy to see that people like Daggerfall as much as I do. :)