Hazelnut has joined the forums...

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Hazelnut

Hazelnut has joined the forums...

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi all, new to the forums, but I've been following DF workshop for a few years now.

I bought Daggerfall on xmas after its release and played like crazy for 7 days until the end of the christmas break, then stopped. Because it's such a huge game, never really got back into it for years due to lack of time & small children - until shortly before Morrowind came out. By then the games control scheme was simply far too rubbish for me to persevere. So I've actually never played beyond the first few character levels. Always wanted to, and do intend to once DF Unity is done. Just the change to WASD & mouselook is enough for me, the other improvements are cherries.

While progress is great (bleeding amazing actually) It's taking a long time, and will take a while yet so patience is key here. I mean it's been 21 years since release so what's another couple. :-) However, the more help Gav gets the quicker it will be done and playable and I'm a software engineer who now does software design so never get to write code much any more... so figured I'd see if I can contribute. Also my kids are all teenagers now, so I have more free time than I've had for 2 decades.

Knowledge of DF data structures etc is almost zero, not done much C# and never used Unity - but we will see if I can still be useful, and whether I lose interest, done some game modding before and tend to get bored after a while and move on so no promises. :-)

Either way, what has been done already is very very impressive and everyone who's contributed should be very proud!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Re: Hazelnut has joined the forums...

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :) I don't mean to rain on your parade, but WASD and mouselook are already in classic Daggerfall :P But that doesn't bear much importance now. Good to see another developer arrive!

Hazelnut

Re: Hazelnut has joined the forums...

Post by Hazelnut »

WASD works in classic?

... tries it...

Oh, yeah, of course I knew that. :D

Damn, everytime I tried to get back into Daggerfall I never opened up the controls/mouse menu and so never saw how to enable mouselook. Ah well now I feel silly. I was always using the stupid mouse cursor arrows to move.

Anyway, still going to wait for DFU to be complete. I kind of forgot how fugly classic is nowadays. Maybe the cherries are the filling in the pie after all. lol

H
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods