To the West, from Morrowind

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
TesmaniaK

To the West, from Morrowind

Post by TesmaniaK »

Hello good people!

Two months ago Daggerfall was just a word to me, and now my mouse-arm hurts like hell. What happened in between those two points in time is a video by Zaric, a LP by Lethal and Grimith, and six Heroes emerging from Privateer's Hold. I fell for The Game. The first Hero taught me a lot through my mistakes and stopped after at Level 5 he had bought the small ship and fell through its backside into the void for only The Eight know how many times. Some are 10 + and one of them nearly gave up after entering a dungeon where to the right of the entrance was that room with its seven cells, each of which contained / released a Vampire Ancient, and the hallway to its right, where he fled, contained a couple more. Hardly funny at level 13, such ill balance! And a couple of days ago number six washed ashore, not allowed to wear any armor. Being a girl, what she saved in armor-weight was soon filled up by lots of clothes, and still she's complaining she hasn't anything to wear.

I hail from the west, from Morrowind, where I spent some fifteen years of mostly carefully avoiding Main Quests, and did some serious Modding so that that would be anything but boring. I visited Oblivion, which was nice for a while, but what I saw of Skyrim made me evade it rather successfully.

And now... Daggerfall. I love it. But it hurts. My arm. It truly does. But I keep coming back. Found out that Archery + HtH is a brilliant combination, but a short while ago discovered that I had forgotten to add Athleticism to aforementioned Unarmored Lady Hero's Advantages. So she'll have a colleague in DFU which I will DL after I've posted this. And maybe I will mod for her. Forgetteth ye not: my 200+ MB mod of Morrowind, started as I opened CS to make Merchant Mudcrab less vulnerable. I've specialized in adding creatures, tuning balance, scripting, providing challenges and fun. But as I am so utterly new to DF, and this community is so utterly well-versed, I have joined this forum, primarily to learn and do perhaps some humble tasks, as Novices / Apprentices are supposed to do.

If there is anything I can do, I am humbly at your service... :o)

If only one of the seven would have been a VA, and if only klicking Mouse 2 while weilding a not-Bow would pick one of the four possible strikes... I'd really like to give that a shot!

Ciao for now and Have Fun!
Rolf

Narf the Mouse

Re: To the West, from Morrowind

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Welcome to the forum. :)

We've had some complaints about some werebeasty, what's your basic loupgarou, from some farmers. It's at Castle Brunstead; there's 120 septims in it for you. Would you kindly go there and kill it dead?

Anyway, on other thoughts, what's your mod called? I might want to check it out. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

TesmaniaK

Post by TesmaniaK »

Downloaded DFU and read the userguide. My humble laptop is too weak... Vista and a dual core centrino. Tried it anyway. Guess what: runs perfectly on 640x400. I loaded a (classic) save from inside a dungeon, and was outdoors as the game started. I don't mind : the hills simply blew me off me socks! The sky! The Map!

Awesome is an understatement

Someone at Bethesda *must* be aware of this Project and in Awe as well. OMG. This is way beyond my wildest expectations.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

TesmaniaK wrote:Downloaded DFU and read the userguide. My humble laptop is too weak... Vista and a dual core centrino. Tried it anyway. Guess what: runs perfectly on 640x400. I loaded a (classic) save from inside a dungeon, and was outdoors as the game started. I don't mind : the hills simply blew me off me socks! The sky! The Map!

Awesome is an understatement

Someone at Bethesda *must* be aware of this Project and in Awe as well. OMG. This is way beyond my wildest expectations.
I check this literally every day I can. :) My favourite game project on the entire internet.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

TesmaniaK

Post by TesmaniaK »

Narf the Mouse wrote:Welcome to the forum. :)

We've had some complaints about some werebeasty, what's your basic loupgarou, from some farmers. It's at Castle Brunstead; there's 120 septims in it for you. Would you kindly go there and kill it dead?

Anyway, on other thoughts, what's your mod called? I might want to check it out. :)
1: Thank you. Happy to be here. When I read Gav's posts on the home page, I could no longer resist. Do you know the book 'Soul of a new Machine' by Tracy Kidder, 1982? Same Pioneerish Atmosphere in Gav's Posts.

2: No, I'm sorry, I'm trying to save a damsel in green from becoming a hungry giant's snack in the Fortress of Hearthsmith, Wayrest. The dungeon with all them Ancient Vamps.

3: Azura's Touch, it's on the Nexus but has its own site as well. Beware: it's huge and dangerous.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

TesmaniaK wrote:
Narf the Mouse wrote:Welcome to the forum. :)

1: Thank you. Happy to be here. When I read Gav's posts on the home page, I could no longer resist. Do you know the book 'Soul of a new Machine' by Tracy Kidder, 1982? Same Pioneerish Atmosphere in Gav's Posts.

2: No, I'm sorry, I'm trying to save a damsel in green from becoming a hungry giant's snack in the Fortress of Hearthsmith, Wayrest. The dungeon with all them Ancient Vamps.

3: Azura's Touch, it's on the Nexus but has its own site as well. Beware: it's huge and dangerous.
1) I can't recall that book or author, sorry.

2) Heh. :) I figure a random quest is a good, traditional Daggerfall welcome. :)

3) Thanks; Morrowind is my second favourite Elder Scrolls game.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums TesmaniaK! :)

It's great to hear you've been able to enjoy Daggerfall Unity so far. Thank you for the kind words. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :) I'm the Quest PersonTM, which is a section anyone can contribute easily regardless of skill level. In the quest section we have a quest-writing tutorial and a brainstorming section where people can pitch ideas for new quests. Once you learn how to do them, they're pretty low-investment and yield a lot of replayability :) Feel free to give it a try if it interests you.

TesmaniaK

Post by TesmaniaK »

Thank *youse*, InterKarma and Jay_H. This Forum, these People, it is so amazing what is going on here. I've spent most of the day, simply browsing through what's already there and I feel I've hardly scratched the surface.

Been reading the Bug Reports, so I don't report bugs that are already known. Been browsing places where ideas are polished, seen the awesome quick rise of Hazelnut, truly amazing. Yes, this Place is a Gathering of Geniuses, it humbles me.

I have visited linked locations, like Manowar's site, Midknightprinc's Youtube ( I already knew and admired Galactic Chicken; his enthusiasm for what's going on here and mine are quite on par ), I read Narf's brilliant rant on pRNGs and from there on discovered flafla2 on github.io - and so on. Inspiring indeed!

I have many things to process. If it isn't against Forum Rules, I'd like to do that in this thread. I am really a novice, both in DF and here. So if I run into issues, I will not report them as bugs, I will put them here so I can investigate ( and learn ) from and register my findings at a kind of personal yet public spot. It is clearer in my head than in these words.

BTW reading that weapon damage modifiers ( except steel and silver, but they are 0 anyway ) are displayed at twice their actual value made me grin, for that brings Hand to Hand at 100 (11-22) very close to the Daedic Daikatana ( not 15-33 but 9-27 ) and significantly faster so utterly worth developing, so at least i do *some* things right as a Noob :)

Well, fast... There's something awkward with HtH in DFU... Next post.

BTW Novice : next month it will be *forty* years ago that I submitted my first Compilation Job - and I hardly stopped progamming ever since. I'm not fluent in C++ or C#, nor github push pull whatever, but there is experience and plenty of spare room in my brain and time in my agenda - so , well ... you know ?

Time to close this post and visit the Quest Section. Bye now!

TesmaniaK

Post by TesmaniaK »

Thinking aloud

When I'm deep inside a dungeon , I often yearn for a Summon Banker spell

Level 14 Furiel - within 15 minutes in some midsize dungeon somewhere in Wayrest : 16 thousand gold from corpses. That's 40 KG. Then don't pick it up you say? NOT pick up easy gold? That's almost worse than to drop it!

There's way too much gold way too soon. Level 8 usually buys Big Ship from one province's Account. I don't steal, why would I? I sell dungeon loot to merchants. Even the shabbiest merchant can buy fifty - , one hundred - , two hundred fifty - thousand ( !!! ) worth of loot, even at very low Mercantile...

Of course one tries to sell their daedric gear ( appears way too soon as well ) for the best possible price, and the shabbiest dealers offer just that. Why not limit their daily barter amount to something like factor * [ player - merchant ]->mercantile * shop->quality ?

Hand to Hand - Fast and Furious ?

Well yeah. In vanilla, sure. DFU adds quite a lot of animation after the blow / kick, making HtH even slower than the Bow!

I can't do magic anyway in DFU, so I'd better do a totally different build for testing purposes. Oh my poor arm! Maybe Furiel can be of use. Hth 111, Long blade 27... He ran into two VAs today and one Lich. We already knew that *we* couldn't do magic here, and were ever so pleased that *they* couldn't either. Two very very very slow kicks each. Whoa! The added animation and the lack of healing and quite a few misses made it quite a thriller though.

Maybe use console -> set_health nnn to heal thyself?

While testing DFU, of course. As a matter of fact i *was* in the console and was amazed. I had never seen it in DF, do quite a lot with it in MWAT when deving / testing, and I hoped to find some way to add potions to the backpack - i found this : ADD itemclass count - and of course no potion class

POTIONS

This is a big issue for me. Very rarely one finds restore spell power ( RSP ). In order to grow as a magician ( especially in Destruction ) one is forced to either sleep every second Blast, or take 30 trainings at a guild, or join Arkay so you can at least buy RSP at Rank 1.

All my heroes have Spell Absorption as CharGen Advantage, but that hardly works before the really tough casters appear. No spider or imp ever added a single Spell Point this way, nor any low level humanoid or Nymph or Daedroth or Wraith or plain vamp.

Maybe some kind of tool that you can buy or gain as a reward, that turns gold into a potion, and half of these is RSP. I'm a Mage, I need Spell Points! Or when we implement the Summon Banker spell, let him bring along some of that Blue Stuff... :)

Orsinium

Why not have friendly Orcs wander the streets, grunting and all. Good for one's language skill, and at some point maybe even chat and ask directions...