The Big Hello Thread

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Interkarma

Re: The Big Hello Thread

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you, and welcome to the forums! :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

DrZorbo wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:12 am Greetings all. Many thanks to Interkarma and the DFU team. DF clasic player from way back in the day. Very glad to see it get the love it deserves. Thanks to the modding community, also. Old programmer and Systems Manager but I doubt I would be of any current use due to the brain turning into cottage cheese (small curd type). Thanks for all you do.
Welcome. You might be surprised how quick you can get to grips with modding, even with cheese brain. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Hey there! Been lurking for a while, but figured I should join in some. So, Daggerfall is still one of my favorite games of all time, and has been a huge influence on what I want in a game and even as I make video games myself now. When I got a demo disc from PC Gamer just over 23 years ago, I had no idea I'd still be having adventures of some kind for so dang long. Even my screen-name that I've been using for the last 22 years came from it! I gotta give HUGE props to the team here for the amazing work they've put in.

I was also VERY heavily involved in The Essential Site, a big fan site for Daggerfall way back in the day, dunno if anyone here was around back then. Admittedly, my interest in TES has declined with every new game and Bethesda's stubborn refusal to actually innovate any more, to say nothing of continuing to fail to match Daggerfall's glory and ambition. Between that and DFU, I'm not even sure I wanna get TES VI when it finally comes out in 2030.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can contribute in some capacity to the modding scene, though I think for now I'll just have to do some brainstorming to see what's still missing (the current collection of mods is insanely comprehensive and most are exceptionally well done, so I doubt I could improve them!), and what I could manage in terms of both skill and time (which is already an extremely finite resource for me, sadly). Thanks again!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Welcome Allerka!

It's especially good to have some folks with game development experience join the community. I look forward to seeing you around the Released Mods section in the future! :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just passing by to say hello to all new members, its great to have you on board, welcome!

eluukkanen

Post by eluukkanen »

Hey People, just joined this place! Looking forward to be part of the community! :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, welcome! I've been enjoying your remastered tracks. Looking forward to hearing more of them soon. :)

herman2000

Post by herman2000 »

Heyo. People usually addres me as Herman2000. You might know me as the guy Jay_H mentioned for his Forgotten Quest Pack.

I discovered Daggerfall when I was in a bit of a gaming slump some years ago, never having touched The Elder Scrolls series before. I thought, "it's legally free, so why not." I was pretty wowed by the size and scope, and ultimately discovered, "hey, this can even be modified". Using David Tipton's original quest compilation toolset, I managed to create some functional quests back then, and even managed to add in a few books to the original game, though eventually burned out from it.

Few years later, I thought again of Daggerfall and decided to once again check on DFU - which had grown impressively to a point of very great playability and even more moddability. I was wowed all over again, and my desire tp contribute new content reignited. I may not be the most creative bulb in the toolshed, but I try. xD;

Having already dabbled on the Unofficial Discord Server for a while, I've finally come around and created an account here - there's roadblocks ahead of some of the ideas I'm planning for, and more convenient contact to the "core" people might be prudent, especially since things like "Pull Requests" on github are, as the German saying goes, "bohermian villages" to my sensibilities - I don't get them at all. :B

So yeah, that's my introduction. Let's sail… for the Kingdom… of Daggerfall.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums herman2000! :)

Falci

Post by Falci »

Hi, I’ve been around the forum for a few days, and a bit longer following the project. A couple of weeks ago, I think, I decided to finally download and play the game and I got sucked into it pretty bad, itself one of the reasons I got into this forum.

My first contact with The Elder Scrolls and Daggerfall itself was in a brief note about its development, coupled with a pair of screenshots, in a computer game magazine I had in the 90’s.

In the mid to late 00’s, I got a GeForce video card that came bundled with Morrowind (and Duke Nukem Project Manhattan, and, I think, Ghost Recon). I remembered seeing someone play it briefly in a store once, so I got into playing it, and enjoyed it pretty much.

Through the years I tried playing Oblivion for a bit and even tried to get back into Morrowind to play the expansion packs, but it didn’t quite catch me. I also tried to run through Arena at some point, and even got as far as having 7 pieces of the staff, but I got really bored at some point and just gave up.

Late in 2017, I had been unemployed for about a year, and, a bit disillusioned with the lack of purpose, I got into Morrowind again, followed by Oblivion and Skyrim, each amassing more time than the earlier. Around the time I was finishing Skyrim’s expansions, I got a job, so that took a bit longer.

Though I tried Daggerfall before, when it was released for free, I never got past Privateer’s Hold.

DFU, on the other hand, really got me into it, and I’m having a blast, both playing and exploiting its systems, hell it even got me to read code* to try and figure out if there were just 20 potions in the game and what the hell is a Daedra’s Heart for, since none of those potion recipes includes it**.

* I’m a software developer, but I don’t normally enjoy it as a hobby.
** I still don’t know what the damned heart is for.